I actually do think their kids are just as worthwhile as mine.

What makes me sad is that their own parents don't seem to notice that they are great just the way they are. frown It's awful when a stranger or acquaintance is more willing to accept you and treasure you for your own inherent worth than mom and dad, YK? My heart just breaks for some of those kids-- real kids that we really know.

No, they are too busy fluffing up junior's vitae, exhorting them to do MORE-MORE-MORE and trying to minimize what my DD is doing, has done, or is capable of doing... to even notice that their kids are nice, ideally intelligent, and have quirky and awesome interests that they ought to be celebrating rather than complaining that they aren't winning medals in academic competitions, or relentlessly practicing the violin. If that is a criticism of the hyper-parenting that is common locally, then I stand by it.

Like I said-- I see this entire arms race as being PROFOUNDLY toxic. For all of us. Because if those parents succeed at what they seem to be aiming at, I really fear for our future.

I don't have to do all of those things to my child, and she still looks extraordinary. Shouldn't everyone be glad that there are kids like my DD??

I'm certainly glad that there are kids with extraordinary musical or athletic ability, after all-- I don't minimize their accomplishments or make rationalizations for how MY kid could/should be as good as that, too... I view those kids as natural wonders of nature or something, and I think it's lovely for us all that they exist.

Just sad. The whole thing is just sad.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.