Originally Posted by kcab
One thing I dislike is picking up the clutter other family members leave around. If I pick stuff up, it becomes a never ending job.

((Humor Alert))
It's not a never ending job if you throw the %h!] away after you pick it up - LOL! It's kind of fun!

On a more serious note. Resentment is normal, but not inevitable - nowadays I ask myself: "If I have the chance to say "I love you" to a family member by putting something of their away, would I take that chance now? If the feeling is yes, then I do it.

Remember that the task is to put out a hot spot for 2 minutes. 120 seconds. I think I can handle my resentment for that long. Of course you know what direction we are moving in, but honestly, the reward of a beautiful home is worth it IF we are learning to gain that goal through babysteps.

It never has to feel like 'oh poor me' - that's why yesterday's job was to write down the negative thoughts. Believe me - my resentment about doing more work that the other family members and my fears of being sucked into the role of zombie housewife/doormat were costing me more emotionally than the effort required to pick up other people's stuff.

In lots of families there is a discipline plan for stuff left around the house. It does go into a time out box, and perhaps not released until the offending child a) asks for it nicely, or b) 'pays' for it with a little extra chore, c) just has to learn to live without the item for a specified length of time, or d) is allowed to claim one item for every item that is allowed to be moved into the trash/recycle bin.

Flylady doesn't go that way - she will eventually introduce a '15 minute' everyone work together to pick up a room, where the timer is set, and music is player, and everyone celebrates at the end. But that really can't happen regularly until there is some hope of success, and there won't be hope in the family, until the leader (us) takes a risk and gets some success.

I know that I have it much easier that most, as my DH is 'neat-preferring by nature' and my DS14 is at boarding school - but I do have to deal with ME (so maybe I don't have it easier than most - LOL!) But I remember so clearly when DS was 3 and I tried to keep the house neat for a whole week and succeeded - and decided that it wasn't worth me spending every blessed minute putting stuff away. Later I found Flylady, and the house started 'cleaning itself.' Such a huge contrast.

So - do 2 minutes and hope.
Ok?

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com