Originally Posted by Pemberley
Anyway, back to the original purpose of the thread - neuropsych evals. I heard back about the writing samples I sent - "The writing obviously is dysgraphic and the spelling looks dyslexic."

The spelling could "look" dyslexic for different reasons - one could be dyslexia, one could be dysgraphia (it's *very* common for kids with dysgraphia to have challenges with spelling while writing), and it could be something else - my youngest dd has challenges with spelling while writing that are due to a weakness in her associative memory ability.

Soooo.... on one hand this feels like more info than I got from the original report. On the other hand - do I need another report? I feel like I knew that much going in. Can someone please explain - very... slowly... and... clearly... - what I should be hoping to get from another report and what I will then be able to do with the information?

I don't know that you need another eval+report, but it sounds like there may be additional info in the reports/evals you already have that would be helpful to understand. Has your dd been screened for dyslexia? Have you had any concerns about her reading comprehension or fluency? It would probably help to know if the spelling challenge is just related to dysgraphia or if there is a component of dyslexia also present. There are probably some tests that she's already had through her neuropsych eval that would help you determine whether or not she's dyslexic... otoh... I can't remember for sure - has she actually had a neuropsych eval? I'm sorry - this thread is getting so long I don't have time to go back and re-read at the moment! I'm also not an expert at dyslexia, so I can't tell you exactly which tests they are, but all three of my kids have been suspected of possibly having dyslexia but don't, and part of the way that was determined was through the results of their IQ testing combined with some other types of screening and neuropsych testing.

I'm going to go back and re-read the original post and your updates since then and then give some thought to what you might get out of a new report - I vaguely remember that dd's original testing had a huge discrepancy and then later there was a question about that split. Realistically, whichever it is, the primary thing I'd be wanting to address right now is - how is she doing in school, and does she need something more? If she needs more, do you have the data you need to support your decisions re what to do next?

DD is already in pullout for reading and OT. How can I expect info from a neuropsych to change or improve this.

If she's dyslexic, the approach to learning to read might need to be altered. If she's dysgraphic and she's in OT for handwriting, you might want to rethink, should she be learning to type instead? It helps just to know what's driving the reasons for the need for extra help with academics and OT. Also helps detemine what type of accommodations are needed in the classroom. But again - you might already have a lot of the info you need.

polarbear