Originally Posted by Pemberley
I asked what I should ask the school to change in light of these new test results and was told "Give them the report - they should know what to do." I heard back from the school and they said once all team members have a chance to review the report we'll meet to discuss any changes to her IEP.

Nice that they think you're doing the right things; but I'd ask for more specifics. Most schools aren't going to be doing everything the neuropsych would recommend-- you need to know exactly what the ideal treatment plan would be, so you can get as close as possible, or as close as you care to get.

If you don't know precisely what's needed, you're still just relying on the school for information; not as good for the careful, planning sort of parent. And that recommendation is definitely part of the neuropsych's job.

2) ________ may benefit from a cognitive remedial program with the emphasis on memory, attention including hemiinattention, and visuo-spatial perceptual organization. She is not acquiring reading/writing skills at the rate that would be expected give her verbal IQ and precocious language development, and her educational program should be reviewed in light of these findings

I would want to know what program this would be (precisely) and what person the neuropsych believes is qualified to deliver that program. This is an area where there are junk science people ready to take your money; the neuropsych should be willing to say (verbally to you if not in writing) exactly what methods can best be used to remediate these issues.

Vision therapy is very good for some people; some see benefits only during the therapy, and regress after; for some it does nothing. An honest provider will do an assessment and say whether it's likely to be of benefit; a less honest one will just take your money. The exercises are taxing and tedious; finding out from the neuropsych exactly what program will work is likely the best way of not wasting effort and money.

3) Further occupational (OT) evaluation, therapy, and consultation to address fine motor and visuomotor skills. It may be possible to pursue this through school and the OT should provide regular consultation to teacher and parents to help promote generalization of skills.

We have found that what schools offer in regard to OT/PT can be supportive but is sometimes not enough to get the job done. YMMV. If your insurance covers some outside therapies, you could look into that. But I agree that the OT in school can be very important for generalizing skills across the day, making sure everyone understands what's being worked on.

Hang in there,
DeeDee