The state I live in is 49th in per pupil spending and our state constitution mandates a balanced budget each year. There is no money to provide services for smart kids with disabilities like mine who can find a way to make it on their own without government help. I used to be really angry about having to pay taxes so all the other kids could get an appropriate education in our public school until I realized that so many of them were probably not getting the education their parents thought they were getting. My son's cousin made straight A's and got a football scholarship but struggled academically because he was not adequately prepared for college level work.

At home, my son spent his elementary years reading classic books and books on economics, history, science, psychology and sociology. When he was interested in neuroscience he studied using free online sources. He did not get OT but he got lead roles in musical theatre which helped him feel comfortable speaking and acting in front of an audience and he learned that the show must go on even when you don't feel well. He learned to work as part of a team with other cast members and to improvise when something didn't go as planned.

If he had been in our public school he would have been loaded down with homework that would have taken him much longer to do because of his dysgraphia. He would not have had time to do musical theatre or piano. He learned much more at home than they would have taught him at our public school.