I agree with everything DeeDee said - the neuropsych should be able to give you specific recommendations re what you can do as next steps at school and outside of school to help your dd. I've had two of my kids go through neuropsych evals (my 2e ds has had two now), and each of those times I've had a follow-up appointment in person where we discuss the report, and then I've made an additional follow-up appointment for 1 - 1.5 hours one week or so later so I can discuss everything with the neuropsych again after I've had time to let everything the neuropscyh told me at the first report-review meeting sink in and I've thought about it a bit.

It also helps to remember that sometimes neuropsychs can forget parents are at a very beginning/low-level of knowledge/experience point in understanding what their options etc are - so be sure to stop the neuropsych and ask questions any time something's not perfectly clear. For example, our neuropsych is a very good pscyh and she really knows her business, and makes good recommendations. But she also talks fast, tries to fit a lot into an hour long appointment, and has other folks with appointments sandwiched in between so she goes through things relatively quickly. It was easiest for me at first to just try really hard to take notes on what seemed the most important to me and let something slide if I didn't totally understand. This is a very specific for instance which has nothing to do with your dd, but illustrates what I'm getting at - my 2e ds struggles with written expression. At his first neuropsych eval in 2nd grade, the np recommended to us that when we were looking at schools to "be sure they don't put him into the multi-sensory program because he doesn't need that". *She* new that what she was saying was don't let them put him into the program in SPED that is specifically for dyslexic children who are struggling with learning how to read because your son can read just fine, but we parents were sitting there thinking we were focusing on written expression (which we were) and didn't even realize that we could request an IEP eligibility review for our ds, knew nothing about the district SPED program, had never heard of multi-sensory anything before that point, etc. The np was giving us valuable, valid advice, but we didn't have the background knowledge or experience to fully understand what she was talking about.

One thing that really helped us at that point was to talk to our local parents' advocate group. If you don't know of one, you might be able to find one either through the yellow pages at wrightslaw.org or by calling your school district's SPED department. Even though we called our advocate's group specifically because we had questions about obtaining a 504 (initially) and later about the IEP eligibilty process, we found that the advocates also knew and/or had suggestions for how to proceed with accommodations etc for different types of disabilities. They (in our case) were also parents of special needs kids, some high IQ kids, and it was helpful sometimes just to talk for a few minutes on the phone with another person parenting a high-needs child.

Parenting a 2e child is a process. A long process. None of us will have the answers for our children overnight. Know that you're doing all the best things you can do - and that with time, the answers will come (and more questions too!).

Again, as DeeDee said - keep looking forward. You *are* doing so very very well for your dd!

polarbear