Got a nice phone call this morning from dd's teacher apologizing for the whole mess and saying "not a soul in the whole building has a problem with her wearing a hat." According to teacher the entire issue was whether or not we have gotten confirmation of migraines and whether or not she should wear her hat during gym. Teacher says the nurse, who just started at the school last week, totally misunderstood and misrepresented the issue. Not so sure I believe it but at least it looks like my decision to reject the IEP made an impression. I explained that I thought a no cost, simple accommodation that affects no one else would be preferable over the expense of changing lights in the classroom or providing tutors at home because dd can't be taught in the building. It really doesn’t make sense for anyone to try to make an issue out of it. Needless to say she wholeheartedly agreed and will pass along my thoughts. I still can’t understand why SW couldn’t grasp the concept yesterday…

Was called to pick dd up today - another headache - and the nurse wouldn't even make eye contact with me let alone say hello. Apparently I did not make any friends in the nurse's office over this one. She told me over the phone that she did not see any reason for dd to go home - she looked fine - but dd insisted she felt really awful. When I took her to say goodbye to the special ed teacher (we were leaving just as take out would have been starting) the teacher said she could tell just from looking at dd how terrible she felt. The nurse issue could really become a problem frown As I asked the teacher on the phone this morning when you are dealing with parents who are running around to doctors, getting tests, having their kid in the hospital, etc and the kid feels awful why would the nurse choose THAT parent to give a hard time over something so ridiculous?

So I finally broke down and filled the prescription for Elavil to try to control her headaches. I wanted to avoid it but I just can't have her debilitated by headaches day in and day out. I will start it tonight unless someone or something convinces me in the next few hours that it's a bad idea. Very low dose used for headache prevention not as an antidepressant.