I'm pretty new to the forums here, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. DS6 is in kindy at a STEM charter school. He is a Nov birthday and we chose to go to the STEM school even though it doesn't have a real gifted 'program' and doesn't have an early entry option. We made the decision hoping that they would be more able to offer differentiation and hopefully would be more open to the available research on gifted education.

So far, we have been quite pleased. His teacher was very receptive to listening about his differences before the school year started and made extraordinary efforts to differentiate for him in her classroom. When it became obvious to her that she could not differentiate enough within her class she talked to the director of the school and set up a dual subject acceleration in both Math and Reading to 2nd grade. He enjoys the skip and is quite confident around the 2nd grade kids despite being 2 years younger. He still does his other subjects in kindy and has good friends in both grades. His favorite class in Chinese.

Recently (over the last few days) he has been telling us that next year he wants to skip 1st grade and go to 2nd while skipping to 3rd or 4th for Math and Reading. For now we're just going to keep going and see how things work out. We definitely feel like we made the right decision for the little guy.