Originally Posted by DeHe
I think what I am still frustrated with is that fact that its seems like school is all about his weaknesses and not his strengths.

This has always been a huge pet peeve of mind. I remember at my DD's first K fall conference, the teacher said DD really needed to practice always starting sentences with a capital letter and always ending sentences with appropriate punctuation. Incredulous, I asked whether that was a kindergarten skill and all I got was, "Oh, no, we don't really teach that until first and second grade!" So then why are you complaining that my DD doesn't do it consistently? I asked a different teacher about how conferences always seem so negative even when your child is way ahead of the curriculum and impeccably behaved and she said teachers always like to give children goals to work towards. Unfortunately, most teachers I've come across phrase these things as complaints rather than goals. And then they tend to play down your child's strengths as "normal" even when they are far from it. But they think they're being helpful!

She thought she could, so she did.