Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
Geofizz... I wish you all the luck to move foreward with subject acceleration. I 'thought" i had it all worked out last spring for ds and reenforced right before school started. We even switched ds from morning kinder to afternoon so he could join the second graders for math. It was quite a blow for us when the district asistant super of math nixed the plan.
We just finished with testing of ds. I should have the WIAT results in about a week. At that time , I may just go higher to the super and involve the asst super of gifted.

Ds just finished singapore 2a and we will start 2b after winter break. His reading is not quite as advanced as his math skills. His teacher says he is reading at a guided reading level f. he easily reads and comprehends 'h' level books at home.

What reason is the district super giving for reversing the 2nd grade placement and afternoon kinder? I'm concerned there's some major $$ implication... That's exactly the solution that I think DS need educationally. Emotionally, it will be marked by many transitions, which makes me tread lightly.

S2b has been pretty trivial after 2a. DS can now do it independently with his improved reading and writing skills. He's picked through about half the pages in about a month. I might just bring out 3a and start pairing it with Khan Academy videos (see that 3a has lesson-by-lesson videos?). First we need to free ourselves from STMath, which is taking up time at home, and not adding much. Either that, or I keep along as we've been, letting him do whatever he pleases. I prefer it when he chooses reading, Chess, or Legos over STMath or Singapore, to be honest...

Last edited by geofizz; 12/24/11 10:34 AM.