Originally Posted by jeimey
However, my DD really does NOT want to be there. She's tried to run away several times, and she's having meltdowns.

She has major overexcitabilities, sensory issues, and asynchronies.

She loves adults, but doesn't click with kids her own age and never made a friend in preschool.
Some of the camps were better than others, and I think she made progress socially. However she was often in trouble, and worst of all her ANGER! started coming out.

She gets so angry over little things, and has no frustration tolerance at all.

this summer started saying things like, "I want the universe to go away!" "I hate myself", "I want to get killed!"

time to start Kindergarten. ... though she still hates it.

They're learning how do things like stand in line, which she hates -- she's so independent and non-conformist; she just wants to do her own thing.

All of the above could be 100% or partially caused by 'sensory issues' that can be treated by an OT who does SID therapy. You may say 'she loves her independence' but just as likely, she can't tolerate the other kids being so close to her and she is trying to avoid a melt-down. See the difference?

I would call back the developmental pediatrician, tell all of the above 'highlights' and say that you think it's worth it to give OT a try. The sensitities may seem mild when dealing with a single adult in a quiet office, but they are more than she can handle during her normal daily life.

I say call the developmental ped, because even though the psyc may be an important part of the picture, they are much more likely to see the issues as 'internal' and not so familiar with sensory issues.

Let me know how that 'transforming workbook' is going - it can be tough to get started because it's very different from our usual way of seeing the world.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com