Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
They have seen IQ and achievement testing that places her very high, and have even mentioned noticing that she thinks differently and is highly creative, but little is done. She is in a reading group, their top one, but they are reading things like, "The cat sat on the log" REALLY. She read that sort of thing at 2. I don't want to be a thorne in anyone's side here, but why can't they move closer to the right level? Math is also painfully below her level as well. There is another boy who is similar to her in the class, yet they are doing nothing special with them...

TT
I'm so sorry to hear its so frustrating but glad there are some positives. DS is in a fantastic gifted school, which does all sorts of extras and moves at a rapid clip, and yet, I see the same things you do - DS is in a reading group with the top readers - but they are doing picture books. I posted elsewhere about how they want the kids to take ownership of their reading levels etc - DS was tested at M and he only has i in his box - he knows its too easy -yet in a gifted school, with a fantastic library, with recognition for what he can do, he still has i in his box!!!

DS goes all day - so they do reading, writing, math, science and I am pretty pleased at the pace and the topics and their approach to things - but even here there is no effort made to differentiate beyond a certain point. So on some level, I am fighting the good fight and in some ways I feel like I need to give up, not antagonize the teacher and continue to have fascinating conversations at home about RNA, DNA and all his other interests. Just yesterday he talked about being "engulfed" by the blanket as he pretended to be a ghost! There is no possibility of a skip here - made worse by the fact that his writing is regular level not where the want gifteds - so if they are teaching to color in the lines - he is absolutely not learning it!!! LOL

DS is not overtly complaining - but it is a long day - and he is showing more preference for being at home. So maybe there is some positive in that, if it is a waste of her time, its at least a short waste????!!!

DeHe