Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
We have officially completed singapore 2a! We completed it in 3 months. ds scored 100% on the end test. We will start 2b next week. Anyone else at this point? Where are you going next? I think after 2b we need to find something else as I don't want him to be too far ahead. I was thinking of Hands On Equations as he thinks it fun but again, its going to pull him even farther ahead of his classmates.

{I'm at the same stage of winging it with a kid throwing us for a similar loop.}

This is wild. It looks like our kids are within days of each other in age, and at nearly identical stages in math.

Are you working with him on the math, or is he working through it on his own? If he's getting up at 4:20 am to sneak an hour of math book time, then I'd keep at what he's already drawn towards, maybe making some more logic-type problems available. If you guys are bringing it out together, or that he needs some direction with it, then I might change direction. I think that lucounu is probably right that you can't limit his learning, but you could shift his focus to other skills that he will need to develop to reach his full potential in mathematics.

We don't do any focused instruction for DS -- we simply don't have time. I kinda wish I could at this point, but it's not in the cards for a child with a 7pm bedtime. DS will work on the math book on his own, occasionally asking for help here and there. We have brought out Set, Mastermind, Chess, Checkers, Q-bitz, Qwirkle, Izzi and other similar logic-type games to work on these logic skills. He'll need them soon enough, and we have fun doing it.

If you are sitting down with him on a regular basis, can you push the reading more? It sounds like his reading is lagging relative to the sky-high math. Reading word problems is difficult if you have a limited reading vocabulary. When DS passed through the early 2nd grade level mark in reading level, all of a sudden he could do the word problems and follow the examples in his Singapore book to progress independently.

Last edited by geofizz; 12/27/11 03:56 PM.