I don't have much helpful to offer--I just wanted to say, "Gee, this sounds familiar." In fact, my DD's K teacher started off our first conference about her (which was about behavior!) by saying, "Some people would want to skip a child like DD, but I think it's a bad idea because..." We hadn't breathed a word about skipping! BTW, we still never have. However, we did ask for more work at her level. Teachers have routinely acknowledged that DD is well above grade level while not actually doing much of anything about it and offering all sorts of reasons why not. The best we got was independent reading at her level and a folder full of advanced workbooks we bought that she could work on during "folder time." They tried having her tutor other kids, which was not a success. She was sent to a higher grade for reading for a bit but this was later rescinded for "logistical" reasons. Requests for harder spelling words and math enrichment were denied. For a while we saw an occasional encrichment homework assignment, but those have vanished. Basically, the school acknowledged her abilities but acted like we were a PITA for asking for anything at all. We are moving her to a gifted magnet school.

Last edited by ultramarina; 04/11/11 10:45 AM.