Originally Posted by Iucounu
For math, the most glaringly ill-served area for DS, he recently brought home a math worksheet where different regions of a drawn pig face from Angry Birds were colored in according to whether a single-digit addition problem for that area resulted in an odd or even number. mad

I spoke to another mom recently whose kid is at a charter school and was grade-skipped twice (in NC). That's helping some but they are doing math themselves and also some Coursera courses. The accommodation apparently is that their DD does her outside math (EPGY?) when the other kids are doing their math class. I think this could work (DIY education in the classroom!) but I think it would also take great behavior on the part of the kid--I am not sure it would work for our DD because she often needs reminders to stay on task.

Also, apologies, lucounu, if this is too far OT, but I have just discovered that there are a number of kids in our DD's Montessori class (she's in 3rd grade) who are doing outside math. On the one hand, I think Montessori is good for the very first steps of learning about math, but OTOH once you get past the whole concrete-to-abstract thing there isn't much there there. What annoys me about that whole thing is that they should just say so (i.e., you should seriously consider doing your own math at home) instead of pretending that each kid advances at their own pace in the classroom (which is the whole marketing/philosophy thing as far as I can tell). What a scam. (Sorry--only included in case you're considering Montessori as an alternative).

Best of luck!