Originally Posted by Tallulah
Can I ask a question? If he's doing third grade math, why did you want him to skip into first grade? My husband is in favor of skipping, while I am adamantly opposed and this is one of the things I don't understand. Even if you skip to third the pace will still be wrong.

I can't answer for locounu, but I can tell you my viewpoint. We lobbied hard for a grade skip though our son is still at the top of his class and needs more even after the grade skip. It is my belief that it's a lot easier to differentiate one grade up than two grades up, and our DS has a better chance of finding a few intellectual peers in the higher grade. Our grade skip this year has been hugely successful, except it took awhile to get appropriate math sorted out. No one noticed that he was a year younger - he's blended right in.

May I ask why you oppose skipping so much? My DH was very opposed when DS was young, because DH was very sporty and didn't want DS to be at a disadvantage. As it turned out, our DS is not very sporty, and so that wasn't an issue. There are lots of reasons for and against, and everyone's story is different. Just curious.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 12/13/10 06:10 PM. Reason: added a few things