Originally Posted by master of none
Originally Posted by Iucounu
After the meeting, the wife and I told DS5 to speed it up and make sure he put as much detail as possible in each sentence for a while.

Why is it that the schools never seem to think of this? In first grade, my dd failed a phonological test because the teacher couldn't hear her answers. I asked if the teacher ask her to speak up? NO! Amazing the progress made the next time they tested, since I told her to speak up.

What about the kids who are never told by their parents what the tests are asking for?

I couldn't agree more. The first grade teacher seemed to us to be a little skeptical early on, but I don't think that her behavior was based on a desire to see our son fail. It's more that she seemed not to realize that our son might need useful feedback at least as much as he needed to feel secure. So instead of telling him to hurry up to catch up to the class, and that a bit of sloppiness was okay (I've seen some first graders' work and it can be pretty darn sloppy in general), she would give him extra time, etc. Although I appreciate why, she was walking on eggshells to make sure she didn't make a mistake, when all she needed to do was teach.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick