That's great news! Yep, I think a skip brings in all kinds of staff to your meetings. smile

That is wonderful that they are planning to do something right away. I think the trial is a pretty good idea. It will give an idea if your DS will fit in with next year's group. One thing to remember, though, that even if your child gets paired with a kid who has similar MAP scores and even similar LOG, that's no guarantee that they'll get along. It's possible, of course! Hopefully, though, that will be an improvement to be in a group of kids working at a similar level. When my DS skipped into second, he was grouped for math with another kid with similar MAP scores, and it worked well for the academic piece, even though they were unlikely to ever be friends.

For now, since they're offering something that sounds pretty good and they're starting to see that your DS has special needs, I'd try to overlook some of the stuff about what you'll do in the future. Principals tend to want to do long-term planning, and with some of the HG+ kids, it really makes no sense to do anything than plan for what works in the short-term.

As for math, we had difficulties getting appropriate math for our kiddo after the skip. They seemed to think that skipping to 2nd would be enough. Some ideas: pretests, and if your kiddo tests out, then he can either join the 3rd grade class or do Aleks or EPGY online in the classroom.

Very good news that there's someone with GT experience. While you're waiting on your DYS application, you can let the school staff know that there is a free site for educators, with e-lists and lots of other information about teaching GT kids: http://www.davidsongifted.org/edguild/

I think all in all this is great news. Congratulations on your advocacy!