Originally Posted by Iucounu
It's actually so that I exercise the proper amount of tact in designing album covers.
That sounds like fun!

Originally Posted by Iucounu
He won't learn any new concepts in the second-grade math curriculum. Enrichment is fine, but it's not the whole picture; he deserves to learn some new concepts, just as he deserves to practice problem-solving.
Sadly, that are very few concepts in Math in elementary school - you could sit down and teach him the whole curriculum of concepts in a couple of afternoons, because there just isn't much there.
To me, Math before prealgebra is about memorizing math facts with a few definitions and procedure thrown in.

You might enjoy reading http://learninfreedom.org/

To me, that's sort of like binding his feet so we don't have to buy bigger shoes. He's started learning Spanish, since I figure that's a useful language to know. He already picks up science, and I can increase that along with everything else, but it shouldn't come at the expense of math learning if he's interested.
Stay away from the 'shoulds' and keep observing your child. You'll have to keep checking his 'twinkle titer' and yes, he will learn all on his own, just by breathing. So if he 'wilts' when you two spend time together learning science at the expense of math, well then yes, it'll be Math time again - hopefully the higher level stuff that they won't get to in elementary school anyway.
This looks potentially interesting:
Online Math Logic Programs, Propositional Calculus, CS ...eIMACS specializes in educational classes for gifted and talented computer science students and children, including online mathematical logic programs, ...
www.eimacs.com/educ_lpcoverview.htm

I've seen a workbook of their about cryptography that looked very interesting.

The reason I give cautions is that you don't want to give your son the impression that your son is 'so delicate' that there is only one least-bad learning path for him.

What if the principle was willing to sit down with the Math cluster once a week? Again, more so he/she has a hands on feel for your son's mind than for anything your son might learn.

There are kids who just want to learn 'a lot' and a 'good pace' and there are other kids who need a particular subject. Go slow enough to see which your child is. There are kids who can become interested in anything, kids who can become interested in anything their beloved adults care to share, and kids who can only learn what something deep inside them tells them it's time to learn. See where on that range your son is as he grows and matures.

I hope that makes sense. In the end you and your wife are the best ones to keep observing and flexibly feeding the flame of love of learning while teaching all of the other life lessons that parents are responsible for teaching. Big job, yes? But I have faith in you.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com