I share your enthusiasm for his teacher. She's already put a lot of work into this and sounds like she really wants to deliver what's best for your ds at this time.

I'd also be focusing on what happens next year. If they haven't done grade skips before ask if they have composite classes say a 1/2 and 3/4. Our school (who have a gifted stream) have proposed our ds do his K year and then move into the 1/2 class, do 2nd grade work with the intention he come out at the end of the year and move into the 3/4 class. If necessary he could then do another skip the same way. Socially I think this approach makes a lot of sense.

In your discussion, once a grade skip this year is definitely off the cards, I'd also be blunt about how your ds behaves when he's bored and get it documented. First, as agreed warning signs that things aren't working and secondly, as insurance so if things do go pear shaped and your ds is bored and acts up, that it's not held against him when talking a grade skip next year. Too often you read here that behavior problems caused by boredom are used to say the child is too immature.

Last edited by freya; 10/21/10 07:59 PM.