Sounds like it was a productive meeting.

Originally Posted by Iucounu
I've alreadly ordered "Teaching Gifted Kids in the Regular Classroom: Strategies and Techniques Every Teacher Can Use to Meet the Academic Needs of the Gifted and Talented", by Susan Winebrenner, and that will probably be just the beginning.

I had the opportunity to attend a brief session by Mrs. Winebrenner geared toward parents recently. Our school (DS8's 3rd grade teacher in particular), is using Mrs Winebrenner's methods to provide in-class differentiation as there is no formal G/T program at the school. They brought her in as a guest speaker for a recent Teacher Development day. One of the things I recall her saying was that for gifted kids in K, sometimes the best thing is for them to be sent to a higher grade for reading, as the language arts abilities within a K class can be so disparate.

Good luck with your advocacy! Sounds like you're on the right road. I think you're smart to be bringing this above the teacher level. Sometimes I wish I'd done that earlier than I did, but in hindsight, I think it took THIS teacher to bring the admin on board, so maybe it all did work out for the best.