I wouldn't like that; I think a two-day gap between taking the "right, now I want to post here" decision and being able to do so would put off many humans, and we'd feel a lot less welcoming to the people who need to be here.

I'd be in favour of something, if we can find something that cuts down the spam without putting off new members. I think our spam problem here is pretty small really. If technically feasible, we might consider a system that did moderation of the first post or 3 that a new member makes (simple "is it spam?" moderation only, with enough people authorised to do it that the delay this imposed would be no more than a few hours). I'd even be willing to be one of those doing that trivial moderation job (whereas I would not be willing to do any moderation job involving actual judgement of the behaviour of humans). I doubt if many spammers can be bothered to make a non-spam post or three before they get the chance to post spam, so I guess that such a system would cut our spam to virtually zero. Something that might be completely automatable and at least partially effective would be a system whereby the first post a new member makes is not permitted to contain links. What options are feasible depends of course on the underlying BB software.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail