Originally Posted by La Texican
Thinking out loud: MDC is commercial, it's about a magazine publication, for profit. That's why they have so many rules and moderation. This forum doesn't have ads or sell anything. It seems like to me this is a public discussion forum for gifted affected people provided as as service by the davidson gifted institute for talent development.
Loading...Loading...Loading
still trying to think.
So, is the purpose of the community here, discussion, right? Well, and rehashing resources.
Yes, I do think that is why MDC doesn't allow people to post links to their blogs or anything else that might be a source of revenue for the poster without paying to be an advertiser. However, I think that some of the rules, such as not allowing people to discuss other discussion boards, aren't necessarily due to MDC being for-profit. I think that the forum guidelines say something about "protecting the integrity of the board." Perhaps it is an effort to avoid things spiraling into schoolyard gossip.

Even w/out the 'no links to your own site; nothing that makes you $, etc.' type of rules, general forum etiquette dictates that one not do so with any regularity. I think that suggestions maybe rather than a strict 'no links' policy might be better, but I'd be willing to abide by either way.