Originally Posted by Grinity
Originally Posted by Bostonian
I could reduce the level of acrimony on this board at least a bit by never writing about the demographics of intelligence and giftedness
This is very true - I feel that that whole train of thought is outside the purpose of this board. Why is it that such a high percentage of the time we talk about politics, it's this particular story?
but I think these are important topics with big implications for educational policy
If this is an important topic (and not a great way to get people off track, as I suspect) for educational policy then post on a board where people come to discuss educational policy. I don't set the U.S. agenda for educational policy, and I don't get much say in it. For now my number one concern is my own child's eduation. Even though I vote in my local elections, it's the whole package, never line-items.

The only time I want to hear about politics here is if someone is running for office, fighting an age discrimination case, visiting their representitives to talk about giftedness, or their child is writing a letter to the editor.

I did not say politics in general was on-topic for this board. I do think educational policy regarding gifted children is on-topic in this sub-forum, in the "Thinking Big" sub-forum, and in the research sub-forum (if the initial post cites published research). General educational policy discussions are also common here, and contrary to what you wrote, they ARE one reason some people come here. One example was a long and IMO interesting thread "Waiting for Superman" http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....960/Waiting_for_Superman.html#Post102960 .

If we are not supposed to discuss gifted education policy in any sub-forum here, this would have the effect of muzzling important discussions in the gifted community, and I don't see what outlet would take its place. You did not mention any alternative outlet.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell