Originally Posted by ColinsMum
Third: personally, I don't like the suggestion of using PMs to deal with posts we don't approve of. I've never received such a PM, but if I did, I think I might find it hard to judge whether it was representative, and I would certainly feel that it was more of a personal attack than anything said in public, however it was worded.
I suggested the PMs because I was trying to solve the problem of potentially feeling the need to comment on someone's conduct, and wanting to avoid upsetting the more sensitive people here, who are apparently even more sensitive than I realized before. But you've given voice to exactly what I have felt in the past. For example there was a time previously, when someone was attacking someone else, that I openly asked the attacker whether she thought she was being appropriate. It was because I didn't want to attack her privately, and I also didn't feel like ratting her out and bothering the moderators.

I am thinking that while it might be good to have some sort of mission statement or guidelines, it would probably be bad to have many hard rules, if any. I was thinking of the PM "rule" as more of a suggestion, but now I think it's not called for at all. I do like aculady's suggestions a fair bit.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick