Originally Posted by Cricket2
I, honestly, haven't been gung-ho to medicate dd b/c she is very small and I don't want to stunt her growth. She's newly 10 and weighs 55 lbs. She's also short, so it's not like she's emaciated. Dh is just 5'6", so the genetics for big size aren't there.

I am willing to consider medication, though, at this point. However, if it isn't likely to net a significant benefit, I would be less eager.

I've heard that ADD is less 'sure-fire' helped by stimulents than ADHD, too, but that's far from saying that the stimulents don't help any kid with ADD alone. My son has the inattentive type, and loves, loves, loves the way the stimulents make his brain feel. I hate the idea of medicating kids, but when we finally got him placed in classrooms that were interesting and he was still zoning out, he let me know loud and clear that he didn't want to be a victim of my political beliefs.

I think that your DD 'knows' deep down, that she is just as smart as her older sister, and when the teacher acts upset, it confirms your DD's suspicion that she has been 'cheated' in some way - and she has. I think it's time to try the medication and find out for yourselves if your DD can be more of the kid she knows herself to be on the inside, on the outside. Of course the medication isn't enough. And of course, the medication merry-go-round to try several different varieties is a big pain in the xxxxx. But she is feeling the pressure internally and there is real pressure externally. This makes it worth it to give drugs a chance and see if they suit her.

Also - starting the medications gives you a chance to sit down with Ms. Mathteacher, show how the errors on the test were 'attentional' not 'conceptual' in nature, and tell that you are starting the medication merry go round and that getting things sorted out may take a while. This will cut out the nasty looks at least for a while.

Just my .02 BTDT
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com