Thanks for your thoughts. Dd isn't the only child who got a C on this test, but she was mortified by the teacher making an announcement to the class that the grades ranged from As to Cs with a pointed look @ dd and another child and then sighing and saying that she didn't want to make another test and that they were going to need to show her that they were really willing to work hard by coming in at lunch to relearn the material if they wanted to retake it.

I, too, told dd that she might have to be willing to accept some lower grades as we figure out this attention to detail issue she is having. Her bigger anxiety is being caused by feeling like the stupid kid in the class b/c she is getting lower grades on tests than most of the other kids and feeling like the teacher is angry with her and resenting her.

Last night she was up an hour past her normal bedtime sobbing and telling me that she just wants to get As and be like dd12. Again, I know that she can get As in the non-GT classes b/c the work is so easy for her, but b/c this school has about 40% of the kids in accelerated math with maybe 15% in the more accelerated GT math (the one dd is in), it leaves the avg math class with kids who are below avg. That was the class she was going to be placed in in lieu of the GT math b/c they didn't have enough room in the accelerated-non GT math. I don't know that placing her with avg-below avg kids in order to ensure that she can get As is going to make her feel good either. She was pretty upset about that placement at the start of the year.