Here is the state RTI guide. http://www.cde.state.co.us/RtI/downloads/PDF/RtIGuide.pdf
The movement away from the discrepancy model (IQ vs. WJII) is on p. 35.

I haven't read this in awhile. From what I remember, for lower performing kids, everything is based on closing the achievement gap between expected baseline on their assessments and actual achievement. For all kids they want to see demonstrated growth so RTI is supposed to help gifted kids by monitoring growth over time (i.e. growth model data on CSAPs). They want to see a year's growth in a year's time.

The problem for my 2e kid is that she tests as above grade level in math, slightly above grade level in reading and at-grade level for writing. Consequently, she doesn't meet their criteria for remedial intervention. As for the growth criteria, as long as she is showing progress based on their assessments, there is no requirement for intervention. So if they assess her as a 50th percentile kid in writing and she shows growth commensurate with a 50th percentile kid, no action. They never look at why a kid with verbal IQ of 130 and a FSIQ of 149 is only performing in the 50th percentile on writing.