HI Cricket -
I actually think that private evaluations yield better diagnostic information and more compelling and complete evaluations. But as Dee Dee mentions, if you want any help from the school, they must do their own evaluation. So, to get the process started, it is often more timely to let the school give it a stab first. Plus, the district only needs to "consider" your private evaluation. This can mean anything from reading it, to burning it, to implementing parts or all of it! Of course, if the school evaluates first, they often have access to some of the "better" tests and this may limit the tests that the private evaluator can use since most tests can be given no more frequently than every 12 months. All in all, going private has some real advantages!

I did not feel that your response was harsh - no worries on this end! It's important to understand the pros and cons of various options. It sounds like getting a more complete diagnosis/understanding of your childs needs is more important than quickly getting services going in the school. I understand your reasoning!

I hope that you are able to gain important insight and direction from the evaluation - this is an important first step!