Originally Posted by master of none
The feeling about missing K is a normal part of parenting. In parents of kids with disabilities, it's part of adjustment. When most kids hit milestones (walking, talking, K and graduation are the biggies) and yours doesn't, it doesn't matter how much you love and accept your child, or how well you understand intellectually, you still go through a period of "mourning" at each milestone, in realizing your child is not going to do the "typical" things.
I keep telling myself that, but I continue to catch myself doing things to try to "prove she's normal". Not going to K, makes it harder. But, I still cling to the belief that if we do things right in the early years, she will de-skip in 8th grade. Then she can be a normal high schooler. (LOL)

that's exactly it. A little mourning over what could have been my ND child. I love DS4 so much, but I think it is also harder because of my job. I work with kids and families, I work with pre-k and K and get kids all excited about going to K. Play with them, etc. It just pounds it in each day how different he is.