Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: m2gts Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 02/25/09 03:20 AM
Hi,

Is it just me or did anyone else get anxious when their child/children were tested?

My DS5 will be tested for the first time this Friday. We are hoping to find out if he is in fact GT and if so, at what level. I won't say that I'm freaking out about it (yet!), but I have to say that I have many fears. First off, he can sometimes be very silly, and I'm concerned that he may blow the test because of that. I'm not sure if that sounded right; I'm not hoping that he has the highest IQ of all time, but I just want him to do the very best he can so we can gauge what we are dealing with here and then try to create our education plan accordingly. It seems he goes in these cycles of being silly/having attitude, and wouldn't you know it, he's in one now - it figures! Anyway, did any of you ever fear that your child wouldn't perform his best?

Then, getting past the test, I have to say I am a bit anxious about what we will actually find out. My mommy gut tells me that he is definitely gifted, but what if the test doesn't show that? What if it does? What if he is PG? I guess I am just overwhelmed by everything sometimes, because I know in my heart this kid will not be seeing the traditional K-12 education. I'm still learning so much about everything in the GT world (and many thanks to this forum, which has been invaluable), but it is just so overwhelming!

If you've made it this far, thanks for listening to my anxiousness/fears. So, please tell me that I am not alone! smile

Posted By: BWBShari Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 02/25/09 03:42 AM
M2,

take a deep breath and look forward one day.... That's all, one day. Once you get through that you can look at the next day and so on. That piece of advice was given to me by someone on here and it works.

Playing "what if" will drive you crazy, which in turn will drive those around you crazy. Tell your son to do his best and send him in. Don't look past that until it's done. Think of this as a puzzle, you have to do it a piece at a time. Take the test, get the score, educate yourself, then start looking at your options.

Occasional anxiety attacks are just part of being owned by a GT kid!
Posted By: fangcyn Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 02/25/09 03:42 AM
You are not alone. We just went through WISC IV a few weeks ago. Everything you said went through my mind at that time. I still remember waiting for ds to be done testing and I asked dh if he is nervous. He said, "Leave me alone, I am trying very hard not to think about it!"
Posted By: LMom Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 02/25/09 03:44 AM
I was for sure anxious about the testing. That's why I sent Dh there and stayed home wink I was worried that I would make DS nervous as well. I had lots of mixed feelings about testing. I wasn't even sure if it was the right thing to do.

I did quite some googling after the test and even more once I had the results (that's how I got to this board) but waiting for the results wasn't nowhere as bad as the feeling before the testing. I still remember the moment when I saw the full report.

Good luck with the testing.
Posted By: mom2boys Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 02/25/09 01:06 PM
It is totally normal to be nervous! I think for me I was concerned that we were paying all this money and I wondered if I would feel like an idiot if my suspicions were not confirmed. We had also asked our psychologist to look out for ADHD so that was another concern.

Let me reassure you about the skills of the psychologists though. My son was tested a few weeks before his fifth birthday. He is a very strong-willed, intense, opinionated child. If the psychologist you have chosen is experienced with gifted children, then she will use all kinds of "tricks of the trade" to get him to perform his best. One "trick" my psychologist used was to let me stay in the room. I did not really want to be here, but she asked DS if that would make him feel more comfortable and--of course--he said yes! So, I also got to see some of the other things she did to get him to answer questions.

My son is a goofball, and for some of the "easy" questions, he would answer with an off-the-wall answer just to be silly. She said to him, "imagine I'm an alien from another planet and I've never heard these things--even if they seem 'easy peasy' to everyone else." That helped a lot. On the flip side, my son is also an extreme perfectionist. So, when she asked him something and he wasn't quite sure, he would clam up even if I knew he knew it. So, she would try to tease answers out of him and did a pretty good job. She said things like, "I'm going to ask you a hard question, and you have to try to answer it even if it makes you stretch your brain. Then you can ask me a hard question." So, she asked hers and then he asked his--his were things like "What makes us alive? How do humans make metal? What makes plants grow?" She joked that he REALLY wasn't going to let her off easy! It took longer to test him (almost 2 hours!), but I could tell that the psychologist was really committed to getting a good picture of my child.

In the end, I think a good psychologist will use lots of tools from her bag of tricks and then will also know if she didn't get an entirely accurate score. In my son's report, she wrote "test results are a considered a minimal estimate due to child's extreme perfectionism and hesitancy to take risks--risk taking improves overall scores and processing speed."

Hopefully, it will be a good experience and you will at least get some good information to support your mommy gut!
Posted By: traceyqns Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 02/25/09 01:25 PM
You are not alone, I am sure parents gets somewhat anxious.
We want to re-test our DS and I am sure I will be anxious all over again hoping he doesn't score below the 1st test LOL!
Posted By: Lorel Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 02/25/09 02:17 PM
A test is like a snapshot- it can be very flattering, or make the subject look not so good. I'm sure we all have photos of ourselves and our kids that we love and others we hide in a drawer to relegate to the trashcan. Don't get too hung up on the actual numbers- look more at the patterns and pay attention to potential strengths and weaknesses.

There are many variables that affect how well a child will score on assessments. You can try to make the experience a positive one for your child by not fretting openly, making sure he has a good night's sleep, giving him a good high protein, low sugar breakfast on test day, etc.

If in the end, you don't feel that the results form a good picture of your child, then consider retesting with a different tool and administrator. YOU know your child best, and parents are actually pretty good about pegging their child's LOG.
Posted By: inky Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 02/25/09 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lorel
A test is like a snapshot- it can be very flattering, or make the subject look not so good.
What a great analogy. Thanks!
Posted By: crisc Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 02/25/09 06:52 PM
I actually remember being very nervous before my son was tested. I was so afraid that his score would be average and I would have wasted my money trying to "prove" he was gifted. My mommy gut said that he was moderately gifted but I figured that all parents think their children are the smartest and most gifted kids in the world at some point. We were also seeing tons of behaviour issues that seemed to fit with him being gifted and in the wrong preschool setting--if he actually wasn't gifted (or didn't test gifted) could I convince myself and DH that he needed a new school environment.

When the tester told me that he was not only gifted but highly gifted based on the testing I was so relieved that someone had validated my concerns and observations over the past year.

In our case the mommy gut held true and from reading on here and talking with other parents it does seem like the parent knows best when it comes to LOG (despite my own personal under estimate of my son).
Posted By: m2gts Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 02/27/09 08:59 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice and words of wisdom.

Our son was tested this morning, and it looks as if my mommy gut was confirmed, and then some. We don't have scores yet, but based on what the tester was saying, he's way up there.

About a year or so ago, when my husband and I started to realize that our son had a special gift, I started doing reading about gifted issues. I will never forget something in the first GT-related book that I read (the name of the book escapes me now). It talked about the difficulties and challenges of raising a gifted child, and basically said, "Hang on for the ride!" No kidding! I feel like I am dipping my big toe in a huge ocean that is raising/educating a gifted child, and it is definitely overwhelming! It is so comforting to know that there are others out there "like me".

Again, your thoughts were truly appreciated. smile
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 02/27/09 10:25 PM
My DS6 saw a psychologist at 2 for issues with extreme perfectionism. He told me that my son was a run away train, hang on for dear life or get run over.
Posted By: shellymos Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/03/09 06:53 PM
Well I am a very easygoing person who rarely gets anxious about anything....but I am still a little anxious about the testing DS4 is going through now. He did the SBV yesterday, then started the WIAT this morning and is going to finish it next Monday. Then he has a few more scheduled for Tuesday (Torance, bender gestalt...maybe TOMAGS). I am not anxious that it won't show he is gifted because I have not doubts about that, I guess I am anxious that it will show what I suspect (that he is highly/exceptionally or even profoundly gifted) and then I am not sure what to do with all that information. The tester has not said much to me yet, other than during the SB-V he did some adult level work...and today she talked about having to do some out of level tests because there wouldn't at be a point to just using the WIAT as a pre-k'r or even K'r because it wouldn't show much. Anyhow, she seems quite amazed...which makes me a little more concerned. It is going to be hard to wait a couple weeks for the results...but hopefully I will be able to busy myself. Good luck waiting for your results!

DS6's WISC is this Thursday. I am a nervous wreck. What if he refuses to eat breakfast? What if she doesn't give me a ballpark right away? Ack!
Posted By: shellymos Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/04/09 02:03 PM
Just remember that they can sense your stress...I remind myself of that often. I was overly outwardly non-stressed a few days before trying to make things as peaceful as possible. I obviously try not to be stressed normally, but paid more attention to it. Try offering some special foods that morning for breakfast that he may like. My son eats breakfast every morning so that isn't an issue..but I wanted to make sure it would be nutricious. He had pancakes and veggie sausage and fruit one morning, and eggs and toast with fruit the next. And he ate during the testing on a couple breaks. He brought food in once and the tester said he did better having food there (just gave him cashews and cranberries together). And as to the ballpark, I would bet they don't. They don't typically say much. Our tester said a little, but still didn't give me any idea other than saying "he is way up there" which is what I gathered and why I brought him in. But that is okay, I can be patient, if I have to be LOL. Good luck, keep us posted.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/04/09 02:31 PM
Our tester told us the score on the spot. We were pretty lucky! But it does happen...
Posted By: incogneato Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/04/09 02:39 PM
Ours too!
We had the test. She wouldn't give me a single hint. She said that she doesn't do that. I still expected at least a hint. Is the lack of a hint a bad sign? The test took 2 hrs and 45 minutes. He is 6 years old and she said that she normally begins a little below their abilities but in his case she started at 6 years. She said that he petered out at about 2 hrs 15 minutes and got tired and the final supplemental tests didn't go very well. She said it's not a problem because they don't compute into the FSIQ. Is the fact that it was under 3 hrs a bad sign? The achievement test is next week and the following week, she'll give us the scores.
Posted By: fangcyn Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/06/09 07:10 AM
Giftedticcyhyper,

Was it the IQ test? DS 's IQ test took only about 1 hour 30 mins.
Yes, it was the WISC IV.
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/06/09 11:41 PM
Shelly, Cypher and M2gts,

The 3 of you can start a support group for test results. Prayer group for patience, mantra's for peace etc....

I hate waiting!!!
Posted By: m2gts Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/07/09 03:00 AM
Shari,

We're actually lucky because our tester gave us a BIG hint about our son. Something like he should have no problem getting into DYS. And she was totally amazed because he completed and got right every question on one of the subtests (visual/spatial?) and she's never seen that before (at least for someone of his age). I'm still new to the terminology here so I may have stated that incorrectly. In any case, she said it was going to be a very big challenge to come up with an education plan for our son. Yikes! And thus, "hang on for the ride!"

Shelly and Cypher, sending good thoughts your way for SPEEDY test results! smile

Posted By: shellymos Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/10/09 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by BWBShari
Shelly, Cypher and M2gts,

The 3 of you can start a support group for test results. Prayer group for patience, mantra's for peace etc....

I hate waiting!!!

LOL, good idea. All of DS's testing is done. Now I just wait for the results. She wants to meet to go over everything when the final report is ready. Sometime this month. Ugh. He took 5 tests (WIAT, SBV, TVPS, Bender, and Torrance). It took him 4 mornings with several breaks.

I am so jealous of the immediate responses from testers. I do understand why they don't though. Not sure what I would say if she just looked at me and said something like "145" I would surely have some follow-up questions.

My only "hints" (you know the ones that I shouldn't be reading into, LOL) are "he is VERY bright," (that one was repeated often) "he answered some adult level questions" "I had to test him out of level for his age because he would easily hit all the ceilings at his age (paraphased but that was basically what she said)" And that is what I have to go one. Just that..which I don't think tells me too much yet. Good luck to M2gts and Cypher. Keep me updated. Glad you got your hint M2gts. That's pretty cool. I wanted to ask about DYS, but didn't.

Last night DS4 said to me "I am very visual" I asked where he heard that and he told me the doctor told him that he was VERY visual. He then went on to tell me all the things he saw visually, LOL.
Well, he had the WJ today. She said that he blew through it. I did get a few other hints and I don't like the sound of them.

Last time during the WISC, she mentioned that he seemed to have attentional issues and she mentioned that he took many of the tests standing up. She also used the words "asynchronous development" a lot. She agreed with me that homeschooling would allow me to educate him at his various paces.

This time, she said that I needed to learn about 2E. She also said that I should look at GATE in our city and said that it is a good program but stressed that he needed support in his weaker areas. She then hinted about scores. Gulp. She said that his worst score was average (ten) and she thinks that was in processing speed. She then said that the others were at least one standard deviation above the mean. She said that off the top of her head, she remembered a 13. That is not what we were expecting. How could it be that his teachers are so amazed by his abilities? What about all of those spiritual questions? Also, she said that I needed to read up on giftedness and education and so forth. Why would I need to do that if he's only got a FSIQ of say, 115? She mentioned that his scores were probably an under-estimation based on his hyperactivity and such. She also said that the discussion was premature because she hasn't done the norming. She also told me that there were LOG and explained the difference between high achieving/intellectual (does well in school) and giftedness (asks why). (I was playing dumb deliberately.) Thoughts? Feedback and scores are next Monday.
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/10/09 08:12 PM
Cypher,

Don't convince yourself of anything. Wait and see what the results were and the issues were. Many people have gotten weird scores on here because of lack of cooperation, lack of focus, hyperactivity etc.... This is just step one, so take a deep breath and try to relax.
Posted By: IronMom Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/10/09 08:15 PM
Hi - time to introduce myself properly and commiserate with giftedticcyhyper! Today was the day we got the written diagnosis from our doctor on DS6 - and the results of his tests. I tried not to be too nervous - in part because I did not suspect profound giftedness - but also because I knew we would have a twice exceptional diagnosis due to behavior issues since he started school last Fall.

Our overall score was only 111% - so above average in most if not all areas. However, I'd really appreicate feedback from others - especially those of you that love the testing process -because for reading and even spelling - we were into the 99% for age group. Over half the scores were above average and into the 90's and the doctor did say that he was sure this was only an approximation of ability due to the ADHD and ODD issues.

DS6 refused to do most of the tests, will not do math questions that he considers too repetetive or easy, threw pillows, slammed a door during testing. I even heard him yell "We are not done and I am not going back to my mother" and he told me he had done that after the tester threated to bring him back to me and after he was trhowing pencils on the floor because he didn't "want to do all that work". Major issue with DS6 the past several months in school has been getting him to comply with anything that doesn't meet his own intellectual agenda.

Will be so grateful to network with other twice exceptioanl parents facing same issues and the rest of you as totally isolated right now as far as peers for DS6 go, and peers for myself too! Would also LOVE to hear more about the Top 12 psychologist and gifted tester lists as so far have not used a gifted expert for these tests.

Anyway - hope it helps to know you are not alone - and that even if you get a socre below 115 - there are still parts of the testing that they will single out taht can reach the 99% range. Perhaps a testing "expert" here can tell me if that's totally naive as far as getting DS6 into various gifted programs go - as maybe they use the ovearll score - but here in VA - DS6 could at least attend William and Mary's Saturday morning program. I was told they just have to score over 95% in at least one subject area/or part of the test.
Ironmom, do you mean that your DS6's FSIQ was 111? What test did he take? Yes, it does help to know that I'm not alone. Thank you for that. My DS6 appears to have ADHD, although I do suspect that there could be an auditory issue at the root of the problem. I was completely prepared to hear 2e at some point, as well. And, in fact, I'm happy that his lowest score was average. That's good news. I would just be very surprised if his FSIQ was in the 115 range. It just doesn't jibe with what teachers have said about him and with my experience as his afterschool teacher. We'll see.

Also, when you say ODD, you do mean oppositional defiance and not OCD, obsessive compulsive? Also, are these issues new. You mentioned that the behavior issues began in the fall. Hmm.

Thank you Sheri. What you wrote helps, too. I can't believe I have to wait until Monday! I hope I still have my hair! Have you ever seen dramatic changes in test scores over the years on here? She said that he needed to be retested in two years or so.
Posted By: IronMom Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/10/09 09:15 PM
Ah - the excellent Dottie - thanks for the reply I was hoping for - and sorry to be vague - literally hadn't printed the results yet.

IQ wise - he took the WISC-IV, and the WJ 3 (Normative Update). We did 9 tests in all - which I can share more on later if relevant for 2E parents.

The WISC came out at 111 or 77%.

Verbal was 110 75%
Similarities - 14, Vocab 12, Comp 10

Perceptual was 108 - 70%
Block Design - 14, Picture concepts 11, Matrix Reasoning 9

Working Mem was 102 - 55
Digit Span 12, Letter Num Sequences - 9

Processing was 112 = 79%
Coding 11 - Symobol Search 13

The WJ3 Cluster Test was:

Broad Reading 134 -99%
Broad Math - 119 - 89%
Letter Word ID - 149 - 99
Reading Fluency - 130 - 98%
Passage Comprehension 135 - 99%
Calculation -122 - 94%
Math Fluency - 107, 68%
Applied Problems - 113 - 80%
Spelling - 133 - 99%
Writing Samples - 121 -92%

If you're read my earlier posts from January - you'll know that reading has always been the one area that led me to believe he was gifted along with the regular traits you look for in toddlers and babies.

Doctor wrote that it may be a mild underestimate (!) as test findings were slightly inconsistent. Attentional and motivational factors maybe neagatively have influced perfomrance. He was relatively consistent in processing auditory information as visual information.

For the verbal comprehension they said he was storngest on a measure of abstract verbal reasoning where asked to determine how word pairs were similar (91%). Vocab. and abiltiy to answer social judgement questions were within Average.

Visual - was strongest (91%) when asked to reproduce block diesngs that were red, white, half red and half white. (Right now DS6 Loves LEGO and has always enjoyed buildling with train tracks espeically - so not surprised. He didn't do so well when determining how pictures were similar in concept or on pattersm - which surprised me as his teacher said he went off creating his own number pattersn in class months ago - which took her by surprise - but then doctor added that his effort was low and he tends to give up when things get difficult. (I am wondering how perfectionism or fear affects him too).

Visual Processing was high average range 112 79th percentile for copying symbols. (He absolutley hates to write).

Posted By: incogneato Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/10/09 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by cypher
DS6 refused to do most of the tests, will not do math questions that he considers too repetetive or easy, threw pillows, slammed a door during testing. I even heard him yell "We are not done and I am not going back to my mother" and he told me he had done that after the tester threated to bring him back to me and after he was trhowing pencils on the floor because he didn't "want to do all that work". Major issue with DS6 the past several months in school has been getting him to comply with anything that doesn't meet his own intellectual agenda.

The first mistake the tester made was an empty threat, IMHO. Some gifted kids seem to literally smell fear! (lightheartedly) smile

C'mon, the kid calls testers bluff and now there is nowhere to go. Ding. Test over.

I'm pretty sure you can have DS tested with a different test, like the SB right away if your gut is telling you something is amiss. You are close to this tester:

http://www.amendpsych.com/

I have no personal experience,, but have heard great, great things. It seems as if he has a specialty in learning disabilities and behavior issues, so at the very least you could obtain a second opinion.

I've shared this story here before, so maybe it'll help..

When DD6 was tested right before she turned five, she was quietly and politely escorted out of the tester's office. He smiled politely and charmingly and said: "She needs a little break." I was like, okay. What do I know? Perhaps all children get a little break in the middle. She was real happy though, and I asked how is was going. She said: "I called him a buckhead". Ummmm WHAT!?!? I asked, and you know I was wondering if by "buckhead" she really meant that she had called him a ........well......you can guess. Then after about five minutes she simply said... "I'm ready now" and walked back into the office by herself. So, I pretty much spent the next 30 minutes or so waiting for my: Little Criminal in Training diagnosis. But actually, I was thinking when the door opened I would be handed the: Bad and foulmouth parent of the year award. Right? Cause they always pick that stuff up from the PARENT!

Luckily, this guy had a lot of experience with GT kids and knew they all have different little personalities. My particular little lovely likes to play the game: I wonder what will happen if I.......

It turns out she finished the test and did well. I'm so certain if this situation had not been handled BRILLIANTLY by the tester that we may not have seen the solidly GT scores she ended up with. Who knows. But I *know* that she expected a different reaction from the tester when she called him a *buckhead*. I think his calm rational reaction calmed her down, plus he sent her a real strong message when he sent her out of the room, IYKWIM. He didn't tell her he was going to do it, gosh darn it! He just did it.

I will say she had a real rough time in K, but is now a "model student" in first. No matter what causes the behavior issues, there are things available to help kids, so seek that stuff out.

Good luck and good luck to all the others waiting for test results. I honestly believe that if LD's are a legitimate issue, it's much better to find out now, rather than later. There is a ton of new research and therapies available and young kids can make fantastic progress!

Neato
Posted By: incogneato Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/10/09 09:28 PM
Hi Ironmom. I don't know what to make of that score, so let's wait for the *experts* to chime in......

The discrepency between IQ and achievement tests strikes me as odd, but my expertise seems to land squarely in the arena of; what to do when your toddler calls an adult a buckhead.....see above post. grin
Posted By: lilswee Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/10/09 10:07 PM
I just joined the forum but the "buckhead" story is just too close to home. I may be needing that experience.

My DD8 tried to call a friend at home and the Dad said K can't talk right now she's in trouble, don't call back. Does DD hangup? No she proceeds to attempt to question the Dad on exactly what K did to get in trouble. Needless to say the other Dad was fairly rude at this point. Luckily DD could have cared less since she was of course right in her mind. We had to have a talk about that one.

Posted By: fangcyn Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/11/09 01:00 AM
Giftedticcyhyper,

Ok, I just made an appointment for DS7 to take the achievement test in April. I am really getting nervous after reading your post.
Posted By: IronMom Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/11/09 04:50 PM
Thanks to all those that responded. I agree, I was not impressed by the testers empty threat - and he did test with an assistant, not the doctor intitially. We have had to work so hard on discipline and "empty threats" due to the ODD and him constantly arguing with adults and not taking things seriously the first time they are said. Most annoying when other adults merely reinforce a child's power to misbehave!

Thanks Dottie for some very much needed perspective. I guess what makes me less nervous and upset about this whole testing thing is that I'm really okay if my kid is not gifted and just bright, intelligent or even Plain happy. I think as parents we need to remember that happiness is probably the one goal we should be focused on. Behavior wise, I feel my biggest responsibilty outside of developing his intellect is working on character, and if ADHD and ODD is making that worse - that's probably the #1 priority, or a 50/50 with his other learning. Learning is super important to me(!)

The only thing that leads me to suspect that he may be gifted regardless of the enviroment that was provided around him as a baby/toddler is that several gifted teachers told me he was before he was 2 - by just observing him in restaurants - and having nothing to compare him with - I went out of my not to hot house him and even went into complete "fed-Up-ness" /denial "with it all" most of his age 4-5 year in Church School. I also didn't pursue "pushing" him because I figured he'd be ahead in K as most Montessori kids are and could predict it leading to problems.

I'm not sure now that denial/holding back was a good thing - as now I see how much he on the one hand seems capable of - and on the other hand, has not yet been taught and therefore would have no clue how to complete on your average test. I try to remember every day however, that he is also a child - and should have fun! I also see how much of my own childhood was spent in WASTED HOURS at a crummy school - but it took me till my teen years to really WISH that something had been doneabout it and to wonder what I could have achieved. Those are thoughts no adult should have - REGRET!!

The doctor actually commented that espeically in Math there were problems DS6 had probably never been exposed too that he might otherwise have performed on. Herein lies the dilemma I think all of us parents face regarding teaching kids oursleves and/or hothousing especially befrre testing. (And don't get me wrong - I do realise the negative side to hot housing and placing a child where they natuarlly would not ultiamtley excel -but it's tempting isn't it ?!)

I didn't hot house DS6 on Brigance and he only came out 70%s or so - which school tried to use against us at one point. I didn't hot house him for ihs October reading - and he came out 98% on the basic Kindergarten score by himself. I didn't hot house on Math - though we did start 2nd and 3rd grade book with super heroes that caught his natural attnetion - and he started making patterns in class by himself. He is not Little Man Tate however!

We provided the leap frog ball, the tv subtitles and Montessori school hopefully taught him extra phonics....but that didn't mean he had to play with the leap frog ball obessing over it for hours at a time ...or pay attention to the subtitles...etc.

I believe DazedandConfused or someone else was having this "am I too focused on giftedness" issue a few weeks ago! - and wasn't sure how much time to spend buying extra books, or encouraging extra learning -which is why I mention this here. It's one of those tricky issues where it's hard to know if you're doing the right thing. I too started buying a couple of things I may not have bought - like an entire phonics set we didn't even end up needing /using (!) because he beat us to it learning ot read himself!!

Now I've slowed down realising if I'm not there to use the extra things - what's the point. DS6 has he's own "obessions"/phases. Best to go with his flow!

End of the day - I just want DS6 to be challenged, reach his potential and be a happy productive person with a career he enjoys. Of course, with school the way it is, still not sure I'll ever have confidence in the "system" to get him there.

In many other ways I'm relieved if he is "normal". I think it's a huge challenge and responsiblity to have a profoundly gifted kid, just as it is a profoundly disabled/challenged one. If I'm somewhere in the middle - it suits me just fine!
Posted By: IronMom Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/11/09 07:42 PM
To giftediccyhyper - thanks for your questions. i answered them under the 2E Threat as new topic - as felt that was more appropriate.

Good luck with your tests!
Posted By: shellymos Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/11/09 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by IronMom
I think as parents we need to remember that happiness is probably the one goal we should be focused on. ...Now I've slowed down realising if I'm not there to use the extra things - what's the point. DS6 has he's own "obessions"/phases. Best to go with his flow!....End of the day - I just want DS6 to be challenged, reach his potential and be a happy productive person with a career he enjoys

Okay there was a lot more I could have quoted, but that will have to do. Just wanted to say I agree. Happiness really is the most important. Of course we want to meet our children's educational needs in order for them to be happy, but I do agree sometimes there is too much focus on giftedness on my end as well. I am of the "go with the flow" philosophy as well. We provide opporunities, but not training. I haven't "taught" my child much of anything unless he asks me specifically. I think if they are interested in things they will ask more. I do think that they need to be exposed to things that may make them start thinking, but I am sure that my son would thrive more if he was exposed more. Isn't that always how it works. And no regrets here so far in that area.

I remember reading books and praying that my child was a mildly to moderately gifted kid so life would be easier on everyone. I hate to admit it, but that's true. So if my son's results don't end up all that high, I am not concerned. I just want them to be as accurate as possible so that he can get the support and help that I perceive he will need.

Good luck to you!
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/11/09 08:10 PM
Thanks Dottie for some very much needed perspective. I guess what makes me less nervous and upset about this whole testing thing is that I'm really okay if my kid is not gifted and just bright, intelligent or even Plain happy. I think as parents we need to remember that happiness is probably the one goal we should be focused on. Behavior wise, I feel my biggest responsibilty outside of developing his intellect is working on character, and if ADHD and ODD is making that worse - that's probably the #1 priority, or a 50/50 with his other learning. Learning is super important to me(!)
End of the day - I just want DS6 to be challenged, reach his potential and be a happy productive person with a career he enjoys.

IronMom - great remarks, sorry there is so much conflicting info for you right now. The tester sounded lousy.
We are in a pickle w/Ds8 testing above avg/not gt to very low on some recent screening, and I have pondered long and hard about whether to go forward with something additional. Finally we are going for it, for better or worse. I think with the tester we have found I will have some definite peace of mind knowing that the scores will be fairly accurate (barring illness, etc.)
We met with him for a couple of hours yesterday and will bring ds in for a couple days very soon.

We are trying to focus primarily on ds' happiness too; he seems *way* happier in his present gt setting, and these latest lower scores are a threat to that balance we've finally found after a couple years of real fear for this cheerful little guy. THe school would even likely do more testing, too, in another 6-8 months, however I don't want to put the stress on ds nor risk getting a less than ideal testing scenario. If he's not able to stay/get into this program, so be it, but I would not feel good about leaving things entirely in the hands of the school - considering how miserable he was before. He hated most of 1st and 2nd and the wondering and waiting to get into the first program was not a very happy time for him.

Somehow, having committed to going forward with testing, the major testing anxiety has pretty well evaporated.
Posted By: IronMom Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/11/09 08:11 PM
Honestly at this point - I am feeling guilt regardless. The problem is - if you don't expose/ teach and not ncessarily hot house - but just teach ...will you ever really know what potential was lost v. what could have been gained?

I'm in agony at times deciding on whether to homeschool or not. What's being wasted right now is my big question? The ridiculous amount of time and energy we spend negotiating at public school - that could have gone into home schooling and coalitions investigation. Private schools here - like I think elsewhere are time consuming to research but I hear they will not accelerate the gifted kids iether as they tend to only take in 90th percentile kids and then try to "even them all out".

We have a Waldorf school - I've yet to fully investigate. I know one mother chose it because her 10 yr old had alreayd gone to college and she wanted him to just be a child and learn something different.

If the IQ was higher, I guess I'd feel more "enlightened" to do something for my child at home - though I've more ore less determined to supplment regular school with Susan Wise Bauer etc. type curriculum. I studied classics - so that approach suits me and also will hep me complete my own gaps in education. If DS6 has an "obession" we bend it - and try to make it spread over several "subject areas" - that seems sensible.

But what a hard decision - even with the 90th percentile scores on Woodcock Johnson. I ask myself am I being a fool to hesitate to pull him out?
Posted By: shellymos Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/11/09 08:41 PM
I will admit that I don't know my child's full potential yet, I also know that he is so much more advanced than I am that I wouldn't even know where to begin to tap into it. So I just let him take the lead. We use books and other things which teach him. We use computers to find out more information about things. It's not as if he isn't learning, but I am not using a curriculum. That is not hothousing, and in a way is teaching based on their lead. That is what I find works best with us.

Regardless of what percentile your child is, you know them best. If your school system truly is not working and your child is not happy there...and if you have already been trying to work with them and they are completely unwilling to budge and provide the support he needs....then I think as a parent you have to be willing to try other things. Only you know what is best for him.

And don't ask what those things are other than homeschooling because I don't know yet, LOL. For us DS is just starting this exciting process in the fall. We can't afford private school at this point...but haven't completely ruled it out. I don't want to do homeschooling for many reasons, primarily because I work full time. We don't have gifted programs in our district even if he is...so that should be fun. But I am hoping they will still provide services for him that can help him enjoy school and be successful. I am ready for a full lifetime advocacy position. But I guess I am also feeling that I want the school to recognize that students like this exist and it is there job to educate them (yes, I know I am young and naive and know it doesn't always happen like that but I am persistent and feel I can make it happen).
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/11/09 09:46 PM
Shell,

Every time you post, I laugh. Your DS sounds sooo much like mine. The hardest part of h/s the first year for me was that it was almost impossible to keep up. In desperation, I signed him up on time4learning just so that I could have a few minutes of peace!!

I've already considered that with multiple grade skips etc, in a few years we may have to return to H/S. But when it happens it will be with the aid of tutors etc. DS6 is in pre algebra now, two years, I'm done, I admit it!

I also remember my test anxiety very well. I'm not known for my patience in those situations. The tester gave me clues, clues like "he insisted on building his patterns upside down, so the orientation would be to me, curious". When sitting on pins already, that type of comment doesn't spark any sort of relief! So, hang in there. Step one is almost over and you still have to climb the Parthenon!
Posted By: m2gts Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/12/09 02:27 AM
Hi,

We finally met with the psychologist who did our son's testing yesterday, as well as one of her associates. The meeting went very well. Our son (age 5) did extremely well on both the IQ and achievement test. I think he may even be eligible for DYS, but I'm not sure. His full scale score on the IQ test was a few points shy of what DYS requires, but I think he might be above what DYS requires on Verbal or Performance (does anyone know if he is above in just one of those categories if he would be eligible?) I know it sounds crazy, but I didn't even bother to ask for all of the detailed numbers, we'll be getting the detailed report in a few weeks so that's when I plan on really digesting all that information. What was more important to me was something Shellymos mentioned:

"I also know that he is so much more advanced than I am that I wouldn't even know where to begin to tap into it."

That was exactly how my husband and I felt about our son - we knew he was advanced, the testing proved it, but now what? The absolutely most WONDERFUL thing that we got out of our testing was a plan of action. Our psychologist strongly recommended that our son skip kindergarten and go directly to 1st grade, and then they even gave us advice on how to try this (including the arguments that they thought might be used against us as we advocated, and ways we can try to address these arguments). My husband and I are so blessed to have this information; it gave us the guidance we need to now "tap" into our son's talents. We know the advocacy process is only starting, and it's scary, seeing what so many people are up against when we read the many posts on these forums. But down this road we go...... preparing to advocate for our first grade skip (with our son, I have a feeling there may be more than one in the future).

shellymos and giftedticcyhyper - sending good thoughts your way as you wait for your results!
Posted By: incogneato Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/12/09 03:32 AM
Congrats m2gts! As I understand it, you may submit qualifying scores in Verbal and/or Performance, not just FSIQ. If you have qualifying achievement scores as well, you should look into applying. Have you checked out the site?

Neato
Posted By: shellymos Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/12/09 03:39 AM
Glad to make you LOL Shari ; ) I have noticed that your DS does sound like mine in your posts as well. It is really quite funny to hear about another child like mine because sometimes I swear they don't exist. Maybe if DS gets into DYS they can meet and have a fascinating conversation about the meaning of life (or they could just play wheel of fortune).

And at least now I have a date in which we will go over his evaluation....3/24. Just a week and half to wait. I am going to have to start a good book and delve into it to ease the anxiety and stop thinking about it.
Posted By: shellymos Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/12/09 03:41 AM
Wow that is wonderful m2gts! Congratulations! That is what I am looking forward to the most, getting ideas and suggestions. With the psychologist we chose it is not just about getting an evaluation, it is about feedback and school support, etc. She has even said that her fee includes going to the school to attend a meeting and advocate for him as needed. That was a big plus as I anticipate needing that. March 24th is the official date, I should no more then. It seems like a lifetime away but hopefully it will fly by.
Posted By: incogneato Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/12/09 03:56 AM
3/24 will be here before you know it Shellymos! Yes, stop thinking about it! Hope you check in after to let us all know how well it went!
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/12/09 02:15 PM
Sounds like you and your DH found a great tester. The fact that she's willing to advocate for you is awesome! Keep us posted.
Posted By: IronMom Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/12/09 09:27 PM
Chris- what "first program" did you get him into? I don't entirely recall if I read your earlier posts 3 months ago now and your son had skipped at least one grade, but was then bullied? I think it was your situation - as I recall you were in VA like me!?

Tell me more! And sorry for your woes. Again - though - there is a lot at stake - and constant testing is hard - but one can always re-take a test. (Starting to wonder if there are free funds for all this testing though!)

Also - do you think maybe he isn't happier in his GT setting and has cottoned onto the fact that lower test scores mean he doesn't have to stay there?

I feel your pain. DS6 came home again having yelled at teacher and says she's mean and he thinks she doesn't like him. Breaks your heart everytime. They are too young for the heart ache they go through in the wrong setting!
Posted By: m2gts Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/13/09 01:49 AM
Neato -

Yes, I've checked out DYS's site - thanks for asking. I think my son would qualify on the achievement side of the house, I don't have the exact numbers from the achievement test but I have the grade levels, and they are off the charts. Scary!

Shellymos - I'm so glad you found a psychologist that will provide the feedback and school support. I know it's only the start for us, but all the support we've gotten has really given us a good framework for beginning our grade-skip request. Also, my son sounds a lot like yours. Don't be surprised if you see a bunch of high numbers! smile Let us know how things turn out on the 24th!
Posted By: BaseballDad Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/13/09 12:08 PM
I hope this is still nominally on the original topic for the thread. We're thinking about testing DS4 this summer, just after he turns 5. I have most of the anxieties that people have expressed here, including the anxiety that he will score higher than I'd have thought, that he will score lower than I'd have thought, that he will terminally offend the examiner and not score at all, and so on. My main question, though, is whether there is a good reason to wait an extra year to test. I have the vague memory that some gurus have mentioned (Dottie?) that tests for those under 6 are very hard to interpret. (Or was this about the WPPSI in particular?) On the other hand, various people seem pretty content with SB-5 results for those in the 5 y.o. range (Shellymos? Pending results, at least?) Our plan would be to give the SB-5 when DS is about 5.0. One reason for us not to wait is that DW is expecting no. 2 in the Fall, and we don't know what kind of chaos that will throw the house into. Is there any consensus on whether there's a good counterbalancing argument for waiting an extra year? Our main goal is to get some sense for LOG so that we can do educational planning with the school.

BBDad
Posted By: shellymos Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/13/09 01:21 PM
BaseballDad - Yes we haven't gotten results back yet, but I feel that it went well. And while I had the normal concerns about whether he would actually even sit there for the test...whether it would be too much on him emotionally, etc...none of those things were issues at all. He did not seemed the littlest bit stressed out by it. And while he needed breaks and was a little more active the last two mornings of testing, she told me that he was able to do well and "complete all the tasks" DS is now 4 yrs. and 8 months. We tested him this early because of school starting in the fall and figuring out what to do with him. I know I haven't seen the results yet, but I would like to see if they can do some subject acceleration with him. I just can't see him going to a regular K at all. And I too at first worried that he would come out too high...and as time goes on now I worry that he will be too low. LOL, not sure why I have thought that one at all but I guess you never know. I will let you know whether or not his test revealed results that will be helpful or not when I get them back.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/13/09 01:23 PM
Chris- what "first program" did you get him into? I don't entirely recall if I read your earlier posts 3 months ago now and your son had skipped at least one grade, but was then bullied? I think it was your situation - as I recall you were in VA like me!?

Tell me more! And sorry for your woes. Again - though - there is a lot at stake - and constant testing is hard - but one can always re-take a test. (Starting to wonder if there are free funds for all this testing though!)

Also - do you think maybe he isn't happier in his GT setting and has cottoned onto the fact that lower test scores mean he doesn't have to stay there?

I feel your pain. DS6 came home again having yelled at teacher and says she's mean and he thinks she doesn't like him. Breaks your heart everytime. They are too young for the heart ache they go through in the wrong setting!

IronMom - yes, we are in VA, too. Prince William County, to be precise. Haven't read about all the counties rules/regs but for gifted prince william seems pretty good. Somewhat like fairfax, but I think both less luxuriously well-appointed and spoken-of, at the same time more flexible with some of the numbers. The numbers we have as of today I think would just be out of the question, however, so more testing.

No, he didn't skip, although he is a bit young (July birthday). He had less than ideal teacher for 1st and by second was really dreading school, in particular math, which I do *not* think is a relative weakness. Plus he was having issues making friends. We are pursuing testing also for possible ld related to some attention issues, and concern about the social aspects.
The program he is in is the k-3rd program called 'start', a couple hours a week at the 3rd grade level. It is a real relief to ds to have this time during the week, plus he has actually really clicked with at least one of the kids in this program. His school also has clustered this same start group in his reg. class so that is great during the week, too. They all have the same reading group, etc.
He is doing things he might not otherwise, such as reading Harry Potter because his friend has, etc. Enjoys math sooooo much more, his teacher has been placed there to do some differentiation so she has some clue as to how to deal with these kids, huge benefit, imho. He has not been id'd for math. We still do a lot of after schooling, museums, science tv, etc.
So in short, no I don't think he wants to get out of the program, no way. He is really excited about doing the testing, knows that continuing in this program might hinge on it.
He is in until the end of 3rd, and then the 4th grade + program called 'Signet' is a possibility (ironic name in my opinion, cignets=ugly ducklings..)

Don't want to go on and on too long, as I have posted most of this elsewhere, but those are the basics..if you are near pwc/fairfax and interested in the tester, assuming he turns out to be as good as I think he is...feel free to im.

Ps, only 'free' funds I am aware of have to do with getting this testing done due to legit. concerns for ld, which we do have. And of course all this depends on insurance, we are hoping for some reimbursement.
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/13/09 04:04 PM
We are going to test DS6 again this summer. The first time DS tested was with the school diagnostician on the DAS II. She admitted herself that she hadn't ever seen anyone remotely like him and had to take his testing to the Director of Special Ed for norming. She didn't know how to do it.

In an effort to save money, he was only given portions of the test, enough to qualify him for services. Plus there were issues with timed sections, the diagnostician said that his creativity kept getting in the way.

I do for the most part believe that once you have a complete IQ test given by someone that is good at what they do, it shouldn't have to be repeated. Achievement testing and above level testing is much more telling. After all isn't the point to know that your child is moving forward?

I'm not terribly anxious about this round as I already know that he's "wicked smart". DYS even with incomplete testing. But I'm looking forward to having the perspective of someone familiar with kids like these.
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/13/09 04:48 PM
Hi BaseballDad - our DS5 tested on the SB-V in the spring at age 4y1m, because we wondered about early k entrance and we'd have to have all the paperwork the spring before school started. He tested very high, and the psychologist recommended letting him play another year, since accommodations will be needed throughout his education. Because we were armed with this info, we contacted the gifted coordinator at our local public school recently, and she arranged for WJ-III testing and a school team met with us about what to do next year. I think DS was 5yr2mo when he took the WJ-III, and he did very well on that too. The psychologist gave him some tests that are only normed for older kids, so we have an idea of what level he is, but we do not have complete, exact information from the WJ because you have to be 6 to get all the tests normed.

Because they pick teachers in the spring, they want to be able to hand-pick a good teacher ahead of time, so I'm glad we had all this info in advance. I think the detailed SB-V report made a big impression on the school, and they have been extremely helpful. And we got a free WJ-III test out of it!

So, those were our reasons for testing before age 6, and it has worked out very well for us.
Posted By: shellymos Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/13/09 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Dottie
And achievement testing at that age is almost always going to be "inflated". Take that with a grain of salt. Obviously, a 4 year old that is reading and doing simple math IS a bright child, and very possibly a highly gifted one. But again, scores will probably drop in time, especially if the child is given an outlandish score of 186 1:200,000,000), crazy . (Scores this high are fairly common for example in 3 year old kids that can read!)

Holy cow, I will be the first to admit that I would freak out if DS had a score of 186...even if they told me it was inflated. I guess the good news from this is that if it is really high, I can just tell myself it was inflated to deal with it better.
Posted By: BaseballDad Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/13/09 09:46 PM
Thanks, all. It seems like the collected wisdom of the group is that, all else being equal, there aren't too many reasons to wait until 6 instead of testing at 5. Since in our case there might be some reasons to do it earlier, it's very helpful for us to keep this in mind.

BB
Posted By: Kriston Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/14/09 12:56 AM
It seems like scores on the WISC trend a bit higher than scores on the SB-5, at least a certain sort of kid, so waiting for the WISC might be better than either of the options you're considering. This was the case for us. (And this is purely anecdotal, so feel free to disagree. I'm just throwing it out there...)

But if you don't mind re-testing on the WISC in a year if the scores don't fit what you know, then I don't see a problem with testing at 5yo.
So the WISCIV starts at 6yrs old? Is there any reason to be an older 6yr old or almost 7? I seem to remember reading something like that.
Posted By: shellymos Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 12:38 AM
Well, the waiting is over...but I think the anxiety has just begun. DS4 will clearly be eligible for DYS when he turns 5. I guess the results were kind of what I had thought they would be. He is a PG kid. But I guess I didn't realize the extent of it and what that could mean. So testing anxiety is over, now I just have the anxiety about what to do for the rest of his education. yikes. testing anxiety was so much easier.
Posted By: BaseballDad Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 01:21 AM
How exciting, Shellymos!

I've been watching your situation with interest since there seems to be some overlap between your DS4 and ours; I'm happy finally to hear the outcome. It must be really nice to have your intuitions validated. The DYS services seem pretty great, too, so that'll be a nice benefit eventually. Looking forward to hearing more...

BB
Posted By: shellymos Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 01:52 AM
It is exciting in some ways. We were provided with much information, including a 28 page report (not all regarding the testing ...some regarding recommendations on where to go from here). While I am excited, I still feel kind of strange about it all. Like she recommended skipping K. I figured she would, and I clearly understand after seeing his results...but I can't help but be sad about my little boy missing out on K. And the thought of skipping more grades down the line...yikes. It's a little overwhelming.
Posted By: m2gts Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 02:56 AM
Shellymos - I was thinking of you today knowing this was your big day! We are definitely in the same boat because our son is supposed to start K this fall, but they are recommending him skip right to first grade. Also, I "think" he should be able to qualify for DYS, we're awaiting the report with all the numbers - should be here next week. Right now we are researching the best way to advocate for our son, and dealing with major behavior issues in Pre-K. frown I think you are right about the anxiety really setting in, because I think there will probably be more grade skips for our son in the future too. Like I've said in a previous post, hang on for the ride!!!! smile
Posted By: Mia Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 03:00 AM
Congrats, Shelly! That's really exciting.

I understand about being sad about your ds missing things ... but the thing is, would he really *like* kindergarten? My ds just didn't enjoy kindergarten; he didn't want or need the typical K experience.

Just remember -- you're doing what you do, for your ds. Not for numbers. If you think he'd be happy in K, what about saving a grade skip for the next year, since a one-year skip probably won't be enough anyway?

I remember the overwhelmed feeling, even though I was somewhat prepared for it. I think the most important thing someone told me was that ds was the same as he was before I had test results -- nothing had changed about *him.* We just had harder information about why he was so different. It sounds silly, but that little reminder really helped.

And a 28-page report! I'm jealous!
Posted By: shellymos Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 03:05 AM
Thanks! I was just thinking today on my way to meet with the psychologist about how far we have come...and how I want to continue on a good path. He started this year in a regular pre-k program where his behavior was not so good. He was actually kicked out of the program and the director stated that yes he was bright but that he would probably need a 1:1 aide forever and receive services through special ed. Since then he has been in a montessori program and behavior has been perfect. No problems at all, independent cooperative, polite, on task. I just worry about moving to first and having him not be stimulated intellectually and then acting crazy again. Glad to see I am not alone on this one. Our psychologist stated he will most likely need more skips as well as acceleration. She said just moving him to first won't be enough. We don't even have gifted programming in my district so she recommends that I contact the superintendent and set up a meeting with them. Yikes, a little overwhelming...but I guess it is needed.
Posted By: shellymos Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 03:10 AM
Thanks Mia for the support!

Originally Posted by Mia
I think the most important thing someone told me was that ds was the same as he was before I had test results -- nothing had changed about *him.* We just had harder information about why he was so different. It sounds silly, but that little reminder really helped.

It's so true. DH told me the same exact thing on the way there today when I said I was nervous about it. He is a man of few words, but wise ; )

I honestly don't think DS would like K at all. He would like that it was a half day. That is the hardest part for me because he is at my moms all day (only goes to pre-k 3 half days a week) so he really enjoys doing activities and things with her. It just makes me sad to think that I won't have a child starting in K, even though I know in my heart starting him in K wouldn't work for him. It may have to if the district doesn't work with us..but I really think if they put him in K...they would have to bring other work to him or send him out most of the day or else he would drive them insane.
Posted By: RobotMom Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 03:16 AM
Just remember to keep breathing wink It seems like a simple thing to remember, but I am amazed at how often I find that I have been holding my breathe while trying to figure out what to do next.
Posted By: m2gts Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 03:25 AM
Shellymos - I definitely understand your feeling sad about your son not starting K. I had a similar feeling about the school that my son currently attends. It is a very respectable school, and DH and I knew that if we ever had kids we would want to send them there. I totally enjoy the school itself and love volunteering to help out, etc. But it's not about me, it's what's best for DS. When the realization hit (pretty quickly!) that this school was just not going to work for him, it made me sad, probably because of the expectations I had in my mind for the longest time. But again, it's not about me. And who knows if the next school will work? I think it's just going to be a constant state of adjustments for the next 10 years or so. What a ride!
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 12:51 PM
Shellymos - that's wonderful news that your "gut" feelings were right. And although it's a bit overwhelming to get the actual results, I found that learning them before our DS started school helped a lot. It took about a month for me to get rid of the nervous feelings of "what are we going to do?" But then I relaxed and started meeting with our local school district. Our district doesn't have official gifted programming before 3rd grade, but they will provide something different for our DS5 for math and language (we'll figure out what that is before school starts in the fall). We are starting DS in kindy, since really it wouldn't be enough to start him in 1st - or 2nd for that matter. We feel that the best solution for the here and now is differentiation in kindergarten, where school is more about getting used to going to school all day, which our DS will have a hard time with. The school has been great - they are willing to have regular meetings to see how things are going. I hope your school is understanding and helpful.

As for the future, we know that our DS will probably need intellectual peers, and so in the back of our minds we know we'll probably have to move to a bigger city (though I do love the lack of pollution in our little town).

Good luck on your decisions and school meetings! One thing that the school liked was that we went in seeking their advice because we were worried about his education after getting our report. We didn't go in demanding anything, and we just looked like concerned (not at all pushy) parents. (I think everyone on this board would act the same, but it was interesting to hear how that helped us with the school from one of the people we met with.)
Posted By: JJsMom Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 01:27 PM
shellymos, what great news! good luck with everything!
Yeah Shellymos!!!! That psych sounds wonderful! As the others have said, just take deep cleansing breaths.
Posted By: KAR120C Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by shellymos
While I am excited, I still feel kind of strange about it all. Like she recommended skipping K. I figured she would, and I clearly understand after seeing his results...but I can't help but be sad about my little boy missing out on K. And the thought of skipping more grades down the line...yikes. It's a little overwhelming.
I definitely know the "missing out on K" feeling... The good news is that whatever is normal and comfy for the child in question is just that - normal and comfy. He's not going to miss out on happy kindergarten memories... he's just going to have happy non-kindergarten memories.

And regarding future skips, feel free to join me over here in denial land! wink It will smack us in the face soon enough... no reason you have to seek it out today!! LOL (Although I'm looking at one sneaking up on me right now.... lalalalalalala!)
Posted By: shellymos Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by KAR1200
And regarding future skips, feel free to join me over here in denial land! wink It will smack us in the face soon enough... no reason you have to seek it out today!! LOL (Although I'm looking at one sneaking up on me right now.... lalalalalalala!)

Good points about the K. I woke up this morning realizing that I really don't think K would be a happy experience for him. I work with K kids all day long, I know what they do in K...and I really don't think he would enjoy that much of it. And I am not about to think about future grade skips either. I will definitely join you in denial land, LOL. Our tester talked about the skips and acceleration he will probably need later and I just kind of zoned out and went to my happy place. : )
Posted By: shellymos Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Dottie
So yes, deep breaths, relax, etc. And get working on that DYS application for shipment say....3 days before his 5th birthday, wink . And honestly...I've just read back a few posts of yours, and this news isn't all that much of a surprise, right? Have faith in your own parenting ability. You haven't "missed" anything!

I do have a migraine today, LOL. But I have been getting them for while so I guess that's not new.

And no, this isn't surprising really...but still shocking. It just makes me realize how confusing this may be for me. One of the hardest parts for me was when she had done some testing abilty thing (ABIQ?) not sure. She said that overall he could be compared to a 17yo. Now I realize academically he can't do all that stuff, that's not my point. Just hearing that and thinking about my little 4yo....talk about growing up too fast. It just made me realize so much more how life must be confusing for him. A little man in a little boys body. I got teary last night after tucking him in.

deep breaths. : )
Posted By: shellymos Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by master of none
The feeling about missing K is a normal part of parenting. In parents of kids with disabilities, it's part of adjustment. When most kids hit milestones (walking, talking, K and graduation are the biggies) and yours doesn't, it doesn't matter how much you love and accept your child, or how well you understand intellectually, you still go through a period of "mourning" at each milestone, in realizing your child is not going to do the "typical" things.
I keep telling myself that, but I continue to catch myself doing things to try to "prove she's normal". Not going to K, makes it harder. But, I still cling to the belief that if we do things right in the early years, she will de-skip in 8th grade. Then she can be a normal high schooler. (LOL)

that's exactly it. A little mourning over what could have been my ND child. I love DS4 so much, but I think it is also harder because of my job. I work with kids and families, I work with pre-k and K and get kids all excited about going to K. Play with them, etc. It just pounds it in each day how different he is.
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 02:29 PM
Shelly,

Welcome to my world. I knew it, all of your posts sounded so much like DS6. Our district doesn't have a gifted program specifically. We do have a GT coordinator that does pullouts for specific kids and situations.

We made the choice to send DS to K so that he could learn how to "do school". As it turns out he didn't need it. He's only in K for the first 15 minutes, lunch and recess. Then he's off and running. He is in 3rd, 4th and 6th grade classes all day. It has worked really well for him. Next year he is skipping 3 grades to 4th and I think it will be easier for him to not be moving sooo much. There remains a question as to what to do about math, but we'll figure it out.

I guess the point is that the fact that your school doesn't have a GT program might be a good thing. Most GT programs aren't geared towards PG. If they are willing to be flexible, he can get what he needs. Hang in there, the ride has just begun!
Posted By: RobotMom Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 06:41 PM
StPauliGirl,
I know what you mean about thinking about moving from a small town. We're thinking the same thing about our little town. Our school has been great trying to accomodate DD's needs, but I think she is going to quickly reach the end of what they are capable of doing. (like maybe by the end of next school year!)
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 06:49 PM
We're just the opposite... We have the flexibility we have because we are in a little town.
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 06:53 PM
We're just the opposite... We have the flexibility we have because we are in a little town.

I always watch your posts with interest, because I think we're in a similar situation (except we haven't been to school yet and haven't seen if it will work or not). It seems that with all the skips, your DS is actually learning things, but what are your thoughts about peers he can discuss his ideas with? I guess that's what I worry about for the future. Our district is being extremely helpful, and things might work out great, but it seems unlikely that our DS will meet someone like him.

Oh - and I agree that our school district is being more helpful than many i've heard of simply because it is small and has no set policies about this yet. So that part I like.
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 07:03 PM
SPG,

Although my DS doesn't have a "best friend" he has many friends. He doesn't really care for kids his own age and he gets along great with the older kids. He's extremely personable and having people to pal with shouldn't be an issue. When asked about skipping and all the moving he does over the course of his school day, he's fine with it. He wants to be in classes that are exciting and interesting. It never occurs to him to question his own age in comparison to the other kids in his classes, it just doesn't come up.

Part of his willingness to fit in with all ages comes from growing up in a household of ever changing age groups. Whenever we get a new child in, the rest of the kids help them fit. So DS will play monsters with the 3 and 4 yo's then move on to play Bakugan with the 13 yo. He also spends time on his own everyday, his choice. He kind of understands what each group brings to the table and uses them to meet his various needs.
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 07:08 PM
Sounds like a great fit for your DS then. Lucky! I suppose we'll see what sort of personality DS really has when he goes to school in the fall. Then we'll know if it will work or not. The trouble with our school is that due to space issues, they made "centers" - K-2 and 3-5 in different schools (yuck). So we don't have older grades that DS could move into if he's starting in K. So probably he'll be learning stuff by himself. frown Also, he's an only child so we don't have the benefit of all ages of kids always being around. Maybe I should rent a few!
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 07:22 PM
I could loan you a couple!! LOL
Posted By: shellymos Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 03/25/09 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by st pauli girl
The trouble with our school is that due to space issues, they made "centers" - K-2 and 3-5 in different schools (yuck). So we don't have older grades that DS could move into if he's starting in K. So probably he'll be learning stuff by himself. frown

Wow, we have the same exact grades per school in our district which concerns me. Before DS was born I thought it was great, now that he is how he is I see the problems with it. We will probably start him in first in the fall, but may do K with acceleration if they refuse to start him in first. But even then, he probably will need to be receiving some 3rd grade work pretty soon after starting. And even if they wait until next year for that, it still won't be in the same building, so they will have to bring over stuff from a different school. I guess that shouldn't be so hard, but I wonder if they will do it and I also know that means he can't be going into an older class but has to be by himself.

Although my DS doesn't have a "best friend" he has many friends. He doesn't really care for kids his own age and he gets along great with the older kids. He's extremely personable and having people to pal with shouldn't be an issue.

this is how DS4 is as well. He likes people for certain things. Older kids he has conversations with and does different advanced stuff with, younger ones he plays tag with. He doesn't seem to notice ages much. In fact I mentioned to him the other day that his friend was a year older than him (not sure why I even was mentioning it) and he insisted the boy was not almost 6 and that he was 4 just like him. So I let it go. It's funny though that sometimes it matters to adults, but kids could care less. So now I don't plan to ever even mention age to him. The only time he mentions it is when he is playing a game that says 8+ or something and he tells me that is just a suggestion and that he is still allowed to play it.
Posted By: IronMom Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 04/01/09 01:38 PM
Reviving this old post - simply because today I've tried to make head and tail out of the WSCII-IV testing report that someone kindly published the link too a week or 2 ago. I was wondering whether DS6 test results (on page 4 I think of this post) had been looked at from the GAI perspective or not, seeing as they said he had ADHD. From what I can tell, the score they published in the diagnosis as his FSIQ was actually what I just calculated as his GAI. Does this mean they didn't bother to give us a regular FSIQ at all - and is that standard procedure if they are also diagnosing a DL? Or should I have 2 scores - one regular, one GAI?
Posted By: IronMom Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 04/01/09 02:34 PM
That's what I thought might be the case after posting - it just struck me as odd to have exactly the same outcome on the GAI as what they said the FSIQ was. Thanks though. Well-rounded despite ADHD has to be a plus right?!!

Is it true that the Woodcock Johnson results aren't very well accepted/respected in various "places"? I'm hearing rumors that they don't mean much?

Just wanted to loop back to all his scores to make sure we were really getting as much "out of the testing" as possible - the most clues to understanding him.
Posted By: IronMom Re: Testing anxiety... for the parent! - 04/01/09 08:10 PM
He just did the WJ last month - but I don't know what scoring software was used. I didn't get an actual "report". I just got the doctor's "write up" of the report in the diagnosis letter he put together. That's partly why I felt I should come back here and ask "Should I be pushing for an actual report, more details" etc. I'm sure the doctor will email them if I ask -but I don't know what additional info. to ask for. He was 6 and 1 month.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum