Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 420 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Hi BaseballDad - our DS5 tested on the SB-V in the spring at age 4y1m, because we wondered about early k entrance and we'd have to have all the paperwork the spring before school started. He tested very high, and the psychologist recommended letting him play another year, since accommodations will be needed throughout his education. Because we were armed with this info, we contacted the gifted coordinator at our local public school recently, and she arranged for WJ-III testing and a school team met with us about what to do next year. I think DS was 5yr2mo when he took the WJ-III, and he did very well on that too. The psychologist gave him some tests that are only normed for older kids, so we have an idea of what level he is, but we do not have complete, exact information from the WJ because you have to be 6 to get all the tests normed.

Because they pick teachers in the spring, they want to be able to hand-pick a good teacher ahead of time, so I'm glad we had all this info in advance. I think the detailed SB-V report made a big impression on the school, and they have been extremely helpful. And we got a free WJ-III test out of it!

So, those were our reasons for testing before age 6, and it has worked out very well for us.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    And achievement testing at that age is almost always going to be "inflated". Take that with a grain of salt. Obviously, a 4 year old that is reading and doing simple math IS a bright child, and very possibly a highly gifted one. But again, scores will probably drop in time, especially if the child is given an outlandish score of 186 1:200,000,000), crazy . (Scores this high are fairly common for example in 3 year old kids that can read!)

Holy cow, I will be the first to admit that I would freak out if DS had a score of 186...even if they told me it was inflated. I guess the good news from this is that if it is really high, I can just tell myself it was inflated to deal with it better.

Thanks, all. It seems like the collected wisdom of the group is that, all else being equal, there aren't too many reasons to wait until 6 instead of testing at 5. Since in our case there might be some reasons to do it earlier, it's very helpful for us to keep this in mind.

BB

It seems like scores on the WISC trend a bit higher than scores on the SB-5, at least a certain sort of kid, so waiting for the WISC might be better than either of the options you're considering. This was the case for us. (And this is purely anecdotal, so feel free to disagree. I'm just throwing it out there...)

But if you don't mind re-testing on the WISC in a year if the scores don't fit what you know, then I don't see a problem with testing at 5yo.

Kriston
    So the WISCIV starts at 6yrs old? Is there any reason to be an older 6yr old or almost 7? I seem to remember reading something like that.

S
    S
    Well, the waiting is over...but I think the anxiety has just begun. DS4 will clearly be eligible for DYS when he turns 5. I guess the results were kind of what I had thought they would be. He is a PG kid. But I guess I didn't realize the extent of it and what that could mean. So testing anxiety is over, now I just have the anxiety about what to do for the rest of his education. yikes. testing anxiety was so much easier.

How exciting, Shellymos!

I've been watching your situation with interest since there seems to be some overlap between your DS4 and ours; I'm happy finally to hear the outcome. It must be really nice to have your intuitions validated. The DYS services seem pretty great, too, so that'll be a nice benefit eventually. Looking forward to hearing more...

BB

Last edited by BaseballDad; 03/24/09 06:22 PM.
    S
    S
    It is exciting in some ways. We were provided with much information, including a 28 page report (not all regarding the testing ...some regarding recommendations on where to go from here). While I am excited, I still feel kind of strange about it all. Like she recommended skipping K. I figured she would, and I clearly understand after seeing his results...but I can't help but be sad about my little boy missing out on K. And the thought of skipping more grades down the line...yikes. It's a little overwhelming.

M
    m2gts Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Shellymos - I was thinking of you today knowing this was your big day! We are definitely in the same boat because our son is supposed to start K this fall, but they are recommending him skip right to first grade. Also, I "think" he should be able to qualify for DYS, we're awaiting the report with all the numbers - should be here next week. Right now we are researching the best way to advocate for our son, and dealing with major behavior issues in Pre-K. frown I think you are right about the anxiety really setting in, because I think there will probably be more grade skips for our son in the future too. Like I've said in a previous post, hang on for the ride!!!! smile

Mia Offline
    Congrats, Shelly! That's really exciting.

I understand about being sad about your ds missing things ... but the thing is, would he really *like* kindergarten? My ds just didn't enjoy kindergarten; he didn't want or need the typical K experience.

Just remember -- you're doing what you do, for your ds. Not for numbers. If you think he'd be happy in K, what about saving a grade skip for the next year, since a one-year skip probably won't be enough anyway?

I remember the overwhelmed feeling, even though I was somewhat prepared for it. I think the most important thing someone told me was that ds was the same as he was before I had test results -- nothing had changed about *him.* We just had harder information about why he was so different. It sounds silly, but that little reminder really helped.

And a 28-page report! I'm jealous!

Mia
    Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM