Hi,

We finally met with the psychologist who did our son's testing yesterday, as well as one of her associates. The meeting went very well. Our son (age 5) did extremely well on both the IQ and achievement test. I think he may even be eligible for DYS, but I'm not sure. His full scale score on the IQ test was a few points shy of what DYS requires, but I think he might be above what DYS requires on Verbal or Performance (does anyone know if he is above in just one of those categories if he would be eligible?) I know it sounds crazy, but I didn't even bother to ask for all of the detailed numbers, we'll be getting the detailed report in a few weeks so that's when I plan on really digesting all that information. What was more important to me was something Shellymos mentioned:

"I also know that he is so much more advanced than I am that I wouldn't even know where to begin to tap into it."

That was exactly how my husband and I felt about our son - we knew he was advanced, the testing proved it, but now what? The absolutely most WONDERFUL thing that we got out of our testing was a plan of action. Our psychologist strongly recommended that our son skip kindergarten and go directly to 1st grade, and then they even gave us advice on how to try this (including the arguments that they thought might be used against us as we advocated, and ways we can try to address these arguments). My husband and I are so blessed to have this information; it gave us the guidance we need to now "tap" into our son's talents. We know the advocacy process is only starting, and it's scary, seeing what so many people are up against when we read the many posts on these forums. But down this road we go...... preparing to advocate for our first grade skip (with our son, I have a feeling there may be more than one in the future).

shellymos and giftedticcyhyper - sending good thoughts your way as you wait for your results!