Originally Posted by IronMom
Chris- what "first program" did you get him into? I don't entirely recall if I read your earlier posts 3 months ago now and your son had skipped at least one grade, but was then bullied? I think it was your situation - as I recall you were in VA like me!?

Tell me more! And sorry for your woes. Again - though - there is a lot at stake - and constant testing is hard - but one can always re-take a test. (Starting to wonder if there are free funds for all this testing though!)

Also - do you think maybe he isn't happier in his GT setting and has cottoned onto the fact that lower test scores mean he doesn't have to stay there?

I feel your pain. DS6 came home again having yelled at teacher and says she's mean and he thinks she doesn't like him. Breaks your heart everytime. They are too young for the heart ache they go through in the wrong setting!

IronMom - yes, we are in VA, too. Prince William County, to be precise. Haven't read about all the counties rules/regs but for gifted prince william seems pretty good. Somewhat like fairfax, but I think both less luxuriously well-appointed and spoken-of, at the same time more flexible with some of the numbers. The numbers we have as of today I think would just be out of the question, however, so more testing.

No, he didn't skip, although he is a bit young (July birthday). He had less than ideal teacher for 1st and by second was really dreading school, in particular math, which I do *not* think is a relative weakness. Plus he was having issues making friends. We are pursuing testing also for possible ld related to some attention issues, and concern about the social aspects.
The program he is in is the k-3rd program called 'start', a couple hours a week at the 3rd grade level. It is a real relief to ds to have this time during the week, plus he has actually really clicked with at least one of the kids in this program. His school also has clustered this same start group in his reg. class so that is great during the week, too. They all have the same reading group, etc.
He is doing things he might not otherwise, such as reading Harry Potter because his friend has, etc. Enjoys math sooooo much more, his teacher has been placed there to do some differentiation so she has some clue as to how to deal with these kids, huge benefit, imho. He has not been id'd for math. We still do a lot of after schooling, museums, science tv, etc.
So in short, no I don't think he wants to get out of the program, no way. He is really excited about doing the testing, knows that continuing in this program might hinge on it.
He is in until the end of 3rd, and then the 4th grade + program called 'Signet' is a possibility (ironic name in my opinion, cignets=ugly ducklings..)

Don't want to go on and on too long, as I have posted most of this elsewhere, but those are the basics..if you are near pwc/fairfax and interested in the tester, assuming he turns out to be as good as I think he is...feel free to im.

Ps, only 'free' funds I am aware of have to do with getting this testing done due to legit. concerns for ld, which we do have. And of course all this depends on insurance, we are hoping for some reimbursement.

Last edited by chris1234; 03/13/09 06:25 AM.