Originally Posted by Irena
Yes, I get the same notes for the same type of problems, i.e., "DS had trouble explaining in words how he arrived at 5 + 7 =12." (SECOND GRADE mind you!) I get annoyed because I feel like they are trying to say DS really does not understand "5+7" and that drives me bonkers!

Irena-- I think this is a PERFECT opportunity to use his slow processing speed to support why it is inappropriate to expect him to do this in any fluid, reliable way. Pemberley had posted a link to some articles on this recently and your post brought to mind this quote :

Richard Lavoie, in his Fat City video (Frustration, Anger and Tension), shows how students with processing speed issues are often still processing a question when the teacher expects an answer. Even if a student knows the answer, he may have slow word retrieval problems, so he is unable to participate in the same manner as his classmates. Lavoie explains that for a student who processes language slowly, note taking is a nightmare. It is not a matter of motivation; the student simply cannot respond as quickly as a classmate that does not have processing difficulties.

First and foremost, the student needs the gift of time. In all reading and math tasks, be they tests, quizzes or homework, the student needs more time to show his proficiency and less laborious assignments to prove his knowledge.

A kid with a lower than average processing speed score would often find it impossible to retrieve and express this additional information for his math calculations no matter what he knows. ... If we ever return to traditional school I plan to bring this point up. smile

Last edited by HappilyMom; 10/10/13 10:02 AM. Reason: weird formatting