So, I sent the chart Zen linked and annerberg textbook excerpt that I found to the teacher. She emailed me saying "thanks," "very helpful" and that she'll "share it with her team." DH and I were laughing think 'wait, you have a "team" on this and still didn't get it right?' LOL. She said she would call me to discuss DS's answer. I know I am a bit of troublemaker but I wrote the following:

"No worries. I had just wanted to make sure that he and I understand exactly what he is supposed to do in "comparing problems" and when I researched it, that's what we found. Looks to me like if the problem wanted, as an answer, a "difference" and a "subtraction" sentence, it should have asked for that and it should have instructed the student to write a "separating story" rather than a "comparing story." However, the instructions read, "Write a comparing story....Write a number sentence that solves the story." And DS certainly did exactly that. I am more than confident that he has displayed the requisite understanding on a "deeper level." As for the drawing part, I have no concern about that - he has been able solve problems like that for years easily in his head. The requirement that he "draw" is redundant and does not cause me any concern in the least as it is math class not art class and, due to his disability, drawing takes up too much time and mental energy. By the way, to give you perhaps more assurance of DS's problem solving skills - he recently scored a 121 on the Woodcock Johnson Test of Achievement Applied Problems, which correlates to a grade equivalent of 4.4. I think it is so sad that a problem like this could have held him back but I am very grateful that you didn't let it! "

I know it's a bit bitchy (and petty with me throwing in a test score) in a way but like my co-worker was saying - it seems like every year someone tells the teacher that DS is smart (me or DS) in order to make things better and easier and appropriate... and what it does instead is triggers the teacher to embark on a mission to prove to us that he really isn't as smart as we think he is when I hear the exact opposite from testers and mathnasium and see the exact opposite! Teacher spent 20 minutes using this stupid problem (that she got wrong!) to tell me on the phone that she is concerned DS does not have a "true" "deeper" "understanding" of math concepts and problem solving. I didn't have the test at the time yet so I couldn't argue or discuss really and just was a bit skeptical and said 'well okay but I find this surprising given what I have and others have seen.' I am not saying he is mensa, or Einstein but he is above this level and he needs SOME differentiation! And she says this stuff to him too "DS, I know you think you know this stuff but ...." She's bought into this Envision program hook line and sinker too. She keeps saying how this program takes the kids to a deeper/higher level of understand

Ugh ugh ugh.

Last edited by Irena; 09/26/13 02:33 PM.