Originally Posted by Dude
I didn't worry about sanding or cut width, because in the real world, you wouldn't. This is a picture frame, not a sensitive scientific instrument. And if we assume that this is being done by a skilled worker with high-quality tools, the losses should be near enough to constant so that we still end up with a rectangle.

Ending up with a rectangle, and ending up with an 8" x 10" rectangle are not the same thing. My circular saw blade has about 1/8" kerf width. That's rather significant in my book.

Originally Posted by Dude
It's that waste at the end that I see as a problem in the real world. If you cut out the lengths you need, you'll have enough wood, but one side of one frame will consist of three waste pieces glued together. It's hideous and unprofessional.

I agree with you that this is the bigger concern. The main point of my post was that you actually CAN cut the rods into 8 8" pieces and 8 10" pieces, and you wont have to join leftover pieces together if you plan ahead. Iucounu already explicitly stated how to do this.