Originally Posted by master of none
on a related note, I was overhearing an inservice on implementing common core. This one was for the teachers. Last night was for the parents. At the parents one, they said, you know how we used to just ask for the right answer (Uh, no, you told us the last curriculum change was about process, not just getting the correct answer, remember), well now we want the students to actually understand what they are doing on a deep level. (so before, you DIDN'T want them to understand?)

At the teacher inservice, they were talking about how to get students to go deeper, and they went through subject by subject. Basically, the thing you are supposed to do is not accept the first answer, but instead, ask the child if they have more they can think of. It sounds like this might be what the teacher in IRENA's case is doing? I don't know.

Sounds like a recipe for anxiety--what are you wanting me to say teacher?

Ohhhhh yes ... this sounds an awful lot like what she keeps saying. She has said to me several times this very statement, "this new curriculum wants the students to actually understand what they are doing on a deep level." Inwardly I groan and roll my eyes b/c honestly I am perplexed - how "deep" can you go with 80-70 is 10? Seriously. And it's only double digit b/c my son made it double digit ... usually she is harping on and on about "going deeper" on problems that are essentially 8-2 or something... Honestly, it's like brainwashing or something b/c when I respond with 'uh really' she just keeps repeating the "deeper level" stuff.... It's like she went ot one of marketing things people make their salespeople go to ...

Last edited by Irena; 09/26/13 04:58 PM.