OK, I'm in a bad-homework-question quandry at work.

I'm an English as a second language teacher at a junior high. Part of my job is helping content area teachers alter their materials to be more accessible for English language learners. I define the words in simpler terms, trying to lose as little meaning as possible (which is kind of a fun challenge, in a way).

Annnnnnnnnyway... this afternoon, I was work on the vocab for a seventh grade social studies class. Their political science unit includes the types of government, and includes the following:
*republic
*democracy
*oligarchy
*anarchy
*dictatorship
*monarchy
*COMMUNISM

BUT! Communism is not a type of government. You could have a communist dictatorship, a communist republic, a communist oligarchy... but COMMUNISM IS NOT A TYPE OF GOVERNMENT.

So. What's a first-year-in-this-building teacher to do? I'm supposed to work off the content area teachers' materials, and only adjust for comprehension purposes. Do I call out teachers on their content-area knowledge and/or accuracy? After all, I'm NOT a social studies teacher. They're the "experts" in that area; I'm theoretically just supposed to be helping with language acquisition stuff. I either have to create, teach, and assess material that contains an inaccuracy, or I have to battle coworkers with whom I need to work pretty closely for at least the next seven months (hopefully longer).

Interesting side note: I know that they used to teach that communism was not a type of government. I know, because I took seventh grade social studies at this school... actually, in the room in which I'm currently teaching ESL Literature and Writing. <--useless factoid