In my daughter's AP Literature course:

The assignment is to "create a test," which is fine, so far as it goes...

Follow the requirements below to create your test:

create one knowledge level question
create one comprehension level question
create two application level questions
create two analysis level questions
create two synthesis level questions
create two evaluation level question
provide the answer key for all of your questions
include works referenced information (see the works cited presentation in the course cookbook for a reminder of how to create a works cited/referenced page)

Ironic.

Yes, deeply.... ironic.

Because...

They provide them a tutorial on Bloom's Taxonomy, and require a variety of different levels of test questions...

You may create short answer, essay, multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, or true/false questions. Be aware that essay and short answer questions will be better suited to the higher levels of Bloom's taxonomy, while multiple-choice and fill-in-the-blank are better for the lower levels.

The deeply ironic part is that the people who are nominally in CHARGE of assessment practices for my daughter's school-- and another member here can vouch for me, as he was IN on that conference phone call at the time-- claim to have a way to make multiple choice assessment measure these things. Of course, they also claim not to understand what is meant by "higher levels of Bloom's Taxonomy," so I guess I can't be too terribly surprised.

Just wondering what sort of personal experience students are to draw from in completion of this assignment, since few of them have ever SEEN what I'd call a "well-constructed" assessment with that kind of coverage in this school.

smirk

I'm probably overthinking it.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.