Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
My favorite bit of advocacy:
Teacher: "Your child has been correcting me in class."
My Mom: "Well, were you wrong?"

Are you a long-lost sibling of mine? That is precisely my mother! smile

I still have tears in my eyes from the $60 bills. Too funny!

I'm debating this week whether to start something with DS's new teacher -- he was just accelerated to some 6th grade classes at the quarter break, and I don't know this teacher well enough to know if she would take criticism well or if she would take it out on him.

He brought home a rough draft of a paper for Veterans Day, and she had marked some things to correct for the final draft. She wants "holiday" capitalized throughout. She wants him to add something about "who served valiantly" and she spelled it "valiently". And she wants his apostrophe moved in "Veterans' Day" (how he wrote it) to "Veteran's Day". While I tend to agree with his placement myself, the official holiday (not Holiday) does not have an apostrophe in either location. So we had a talk about the merits of doing what the teacher asks in order to get a better grade while knowing in your heart that you're right, versus explaining to the teacher that what she wants is incorrect and possibly facing problems in the future. I've seen his final draft, which he hasn't turned in yet, and he spelled valiantly correctly, did not capitalize holiday, and put an apostrophe where she wanted it in the title. Two out of three ain't bad. smile