This thread caught my eye today. My grade 3 son came home with a study sheet for an oral exam in his second language class. He is supposed to practice asking questions, and the sheet has 12 pictograms (with no text) representing the questions he is meant to practice. They all show a child with his/her hand raised, and a "thought bubble" to represent what they want to ask.

Well, a few are obvious (child with raised hand holding a pencil and thinking about a pencil sharpener), but most are a complete mystery to me (and DS).

Why is a boy thinking about a woman (head only, no distinguishing features) talking on the phone? The best we could come up with is maybe he wants to call his mom.

A girl is thinking about someone mopping the floor -- does she want to see the janitor, does she want to mop the floor, has she spilled something that needs to be cleaned up?

Or another boy is thinking about a woman (or possibly a girl) in front of a computer. Perhaps the school secretary, or perhaps not . . . perhaps he wants a turn at the computer?

I am sure there is supposed to be one right answer for each image - I just don't know what it is!