Originally Posted by LNEsMom
Now I am again in a dilemma about whether to discuss this with the teacher or not. It is 3rd grade so I am not overly concerned about the grade itself, but I AM concerned about how DS is supposed to figure out when he is answering questions correctly or incorrectly when it appears to be quite arbitrary in many instances.

I think the key point is that it is 3rd grade. We have found that teachers in elementary school often do not know the correct answers. Perhaps they once knew and have forgotten. Or perhaps they were just sloppy about forming the questions.

Much earlier on this thread I shared examples from our son's 4th grade teacher: "The sun doesn't move, or rotate", and "Q: Isn't a circle made up of an infinite number of points? A: It depends how big the circle is".

Given that it is elementary school, and that the teachers are not specialized, I would say to let it go. Our approach was to tell our son that he was right, and that not everything that is wrong is worth correcting in a discussion or argument. On the other hand, if this was in high school, where the stakes are higher, it might be a different matter.