Dd was sick last week. Her LA homework (maybe they did it in class, not sure) was to watch a video about Lance Armstrong and then write about perseverance. I assume (really hope) that the teacher addressed the latest news when she assigned this. I told dd to just pretend she wasn't aware of recent events when answering the questions or the assingment wouldn't make sense. Ironic that this was assigned, I believe, the day after the announcement last week.

I am cracking up at the other responses in this thread. I was thinking about the Hare and pineapple before I got to that sentence in the op. What is wrong with teachers? I would totally be giving extra credit to the kid who brought up Vietnam and Korean casualties in response to the Cold War (not to mention Latin America). But I also wouldn't have written the question he was responding too in that way.

I bet I will be able to add to this in the future--thankfully the Montessori school dd attended until 5th grade did not give me the opportunity to contribute much to this thread.