OK, DS just brought his test home and the question had been changed to "Dave has 4 $20 bills". Whew!

However, I had to laugh at this question and DS's answer because I can't tell if it was the intended response or not.

Sasha wants to make necklaces for her 3 friends. She needs 49 beads to make each necklace. Sasha has a new pack of 144 beads. She uses estimation to see if she has enough beads.
Sasha rounds the number of beads to 40 and multiplies by 3. Sasha decides that 144 beads would be enough to make necklaces for her friends. Is Sasha correct? Explain or show your answer.

I can't tell if the kids were supposed to challenge her estimation procedure or not. Because if you don't, then you would conclude that she does have enough beads since 3x40=120 which is less than 144. But DS said, no she's not correct because she should have rounded to 50 not 40 and then she would have realized she didn't have enough beads.

Clearly, the correct answer to the question, but I honestly can't tell if they intended the kids to figure that out (seems like kind of a trick question for 4th grade math) or if DS's answer just politely points out, "hey, you messed up the question again!" smile