Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
I had started another thread on math/writing one's work. Things have been smoother since DS was accelerated another year in math. However, yesterday, I found a note on returned homework next to a word problem that required multipling something like 6x72. "X, you must communicate how you arrived at the answer."

The work, of course, was in his head. Sigh.

On the plus side, most of the work is indeed more challenging and he's less inclined to fuss over coming up with the required text...

Yes, I get the same notes for the same type of problems, i.e., "DS had trouble explaining in words how he arrived at 5 + 7 =12." (SECOND GRADE mind you!) I get annoyed because I feel like they are trying to say DS really does not understand "5+7" and that drives me bonkers! I get insulted for DS and tend to feel like they are questioning DS ability or building a case that he's 'really not understanding what he is doing.' Last year's teacher sort-of did that last year to me in meeting so I am not entirely a paranoid delusional. However, maybe it is something that is not really as personal as it sometimes feels - they really just do this to everyone? I think I may get the notes less now that they have the achievement math problems score and his formal id as gifted (Oh and maybe also since the last time it was done it turned out the teacher was the one "lacking the deeper understanding.") Not sure we'll see.