Um okay whatever. I am not the one who calls it a comparing story 'they' are and I am not the one who makes up the rules 'they' are and according to 'their' textbooks and charts, he did it correctly. According to their teaching materials, if if the problem wanted, as an answer, a "difference" and a "subtraction" sentence, it should have asked for that and it should have instructed the student to write a "separating story" rather than a "comparing story." However, the instructions read, "Write a comparing story....Write a number sentence that solves the story." In comparing stories you write this type of problem (I take this right from their materials): "Mr. Smith had 5 cookies. Suzy had 3 cookies. How many more cookies did
Mr. Smith have than Suzy?" And, according to their chart and text book, you can solve it either with subtraction or addition. Specifically, they give us these answers as model answers to the problem: "5 - 3 = __ or 3 + __ = 5" The very problem and answer DS gave as his answer looks just like the model addition answer.

Really, it's not rocket science.

Last edited by Irena; 09/26/13 03:22 PM.