Hi there,

I am new to this forum, but have been following this thread with interest for a while now.

My son Aiden is now 4 years and 2 months. School years here run from Jan to Dec, so we are just getting into the school year. He attends one of two schools for "high potential" kids in the entire country and is in what we call Grade 00 (Pre K). Thank goodness they differentiate in the class and allow each child to (mostly) work at their own pace. He is loving it and is really happy to go to school every day - even asking to go on weekends.

He is the second youngest in his class (there is one girl younger who will repeat this grade next year as she has just turned 4 this past week) but is very confident and relaxed around all the kids there. The school goes up to grade 7 and he gets to meet and interact with kids across all grades at various times.

They do general music classes, language classes and computer classes once a week. They go to the school library once a week as well. They do a lot of stuff that DS4 already knows, but since it's theme based he will do it just to learn about the themes. This semester the theme is animals and each day he brings home facts to share with us. He also takes facts back to school nearly every week as he has always loved animals (esp endangered ones).

Last year he was ahead of every child in his class in every "subject" except for the drawing ability in pictures. From what I can see this year - it's pretty much the same so far. Right now he is allowed to bring "work books" from home to do in his spare time, and he switches them weekly between maths and writing/spelling and puzzles books (mazes, word searches etc)

Next year DS2 will start there as well in the 3 year class. He will also be one of the youngest in his class, but again I don't see a problem with this. He is learning things that DS4 teaches him and so is "ahead" of even where DS4 was at the same age.

Just wanted to say hi and let you all know a bit about us.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)