I think that it helps that they are playing or doing crafts / singing most of the day. They are also working on their writing which is great.
Since the days are short, and they are mostly doing crafts/singing it sounds ok.

They are slowly teaching the letter A and counting to ten--really? I can't imagine that is normal four year old curriculum.

Twinkly - I wish I could help you open your eyes. Yes, Yes, 1000x Yes. This is normal. This is ok. This is even beautiful. I know you have other things to do with your brief 'free time' but I really think you need to visit Kindy classrooms and even 1st grade classrooms and other 4 year old rooms in Preschools. When you go to the 'gifted' school, be sure to spend time with the kindys and 1st graders.

Some people may see this as squashing her individuality and stunting her intellect, but I am not worried about those things with her as much as worrying about her ability to control her impulses and get along with others since those are her greater challenges.

I'm really glad you were able to verbalize this. I am totally not worried about squashing her individuality or stunting her intellect. Like you, I want her to be able to control her impulses and get along with others. I think it's great that she showed such control during:
I arrived early and they were doing a group activity (there are 19 of them in the class) where they had to take turns and go up and circle the letter A in text) and I was really amazed that my DD4 sat there, was quiet, and just waited her turn.
And I would energize her like crazy for her ability to do this. But she has already noticed that something is very strange:
Although she said she had fun at school, she told me last night that she said things during circle time about the "baby things" they were doing.
What exactly is could we hope that she could conclude from this experience? Particularly next year when it's every day and more hours? Isn't asking her to practice self control and getting along skills in this context sort of like asking a child to learn to swim in the deep end?

Again, as long as the day is mostly songs and crafts, and it's only a few days a week, and a few hours a day - it'll probably be fine. I hope what you see at the gifted school looks great. Take a good long look at having a babysitter come to your house even if you have to go out and sleep in your car in a parking lot somewhere. Keep your eyes open for a home daycare center that has older children in the afternoon after school that she would be able to interact with. Try and contact the mom of the reading boy and see if she has been able to track down any local resources, or would be willing to do 'babysitting trades' with you. I know it looks hopeless, but there is always so much more resource than a person can be aware of.

Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com