Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 139 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    sailare, malik, watkinsayden81, thomaszx, Peter Jhonson
    11,480 Registered Users
    July
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30 31
    Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
    Identification, Testing & Assessment Jump to new posts
    Re: help understanding wppsi scores lululo4321 07/19/24 09:42 PM
    Flash forward six years! I have returned for questions and if it helps others to see changes over time. DS had very low WMI scores (relative to other scores) and I was told he would struggle in school because executive function was critical so I had lowered my expectations a little. DS (now 11) was diagnosed with ADHD and dysgraphia in 1st grade. His teachers did not express any concerns and he was doing well so neither were addressed. This past school year, DS decided he wanted to try medication for the ADHD. It helped a great deal in his ability to get work done and helped him to stay focused through the very long standardized testing that was required for ms applications. He had to do a new evaluation to have an IEP in case he needs accommodations. I was shocked that his WMI scores were now at 99%. Could medication make that much difference? Or is it the development over the last 4 years since last testing? His digit span went from 11 to 19. His current testing on WISC-V as follows:

VCI 96%

VSI 87%

FRI 97%

WMI 99%

PSI 88%

FSIQ 99%

He also had achievement testing done but it was unmedicated so I don't understand how you diagnose ADHD when you're looking at results from different tests, some medicated some not. But then, I'm not an educational psychologist. He scored 10% on Beery VMI motor coordination so dysgraphia diagnosis was probably accurate.
    7 4,866 Read More
    Parenting and Advocacy Jump to new posts
    Re: Opinions on School Heidi_Hunter 07/16/24 05:52 PM
    Originally Posted by psychland
    So, I have a question about schools. DD goes to a very small private school (only one class for her grade) but they are very flexible (suggested a grade skip to me) and while it can be a challenge they work to keep DD challenged, they seem to really care about her. That being said, she still spends a lot of time practicing (as she calls it) instead of learning. The school runs about one year ahead of our local public school in terms of curriculum and there is no gifted program. There are also a couple of HG+ kids at her school, not necessarily in her grade but she does interact with these other children on a daily basis.

Our local public schools have a pull out gifted program, it is only one day a week and the curriculum is not accelerated the other four days. However, we live in a university community and she would most likely have intellectual peers at our local public school (or maybe I am being optimistic). Also, we could afford to do more enrichment at home since we would not be paying tuition.
    Any ideas on best environment? What has the experience been like for those at public schools? I just want to try and make sure she is as happy at school as she can be:)!
    Consider the benefits of a balanced curriculum with enrichment at home to foster intellectual growth and happiness.
    7 3,857 Read More
    Recommended Resources Jump to new posts
    Re: Adventure Academy Heidi_Hunter 07/11/24 11:29 AM
    Originally Posted by GCN3030
    Recently I decided to let my 5 year old son try out Adventure Academy. He has had ABC mouse for quite awhile and he has seen the ads for Adventure Academy on there before so he was excited about it. So far it has been really great he is getting exposed to lots of various interesting and challenging content since it is designed for average 8-13 year olds. It suits him well because he loves games and likes to be independent in choosing what to do. It is definitely not an actual curriculum but it is a fun and educational game full of tons of different academically enriching videos, puzzles, lessons, books etc. I even want to use pk and it will save my life.
    That's awesome to hear! I've been considering Adventure Academy for my younger sibling who also enjoys educational games. It's great to know that even younger kids, like your son, can benefit from it despite the target age being 8-13. The variety of content sounds perfect for keeping them engaged and learning at their own pace. Thanks for sharing your experience!
    2 12,151 Read More
    Twice Exceptional Jump to new posts
    Re: IEP questions Heidi_Hunter 07/11/24 11:22 AM
    Hi there! As a student with a learning disability myself, I can relate to your concerns. For funding, you might want to check out local educational grants or scholarships specifically for twice-exceptional (2e) kids. Sometimes community organizations or even online platforms have resources available. Regarding the 504 plan, it's not uncommon for schools to use broader categories to ensure accommodations. It’s great that the 504 plan is providing useful supports. Keep advocating for your son and exploring all available resources. Best of luck!
    8 8,745 Read More
    Parenting and Advocacy Jump to new posts
    Advice for profoundly gifted and imaginative 7yo? Kim Jensen (DK) 07/05/24 03:32 PM
    Our boy (7) has been tested to 145+ on the WISC-V. It almost seems as if he lives in a fantasy world. Ask him if he would like more oatmeal, and he replies that the house is under attack by the snake people from Ninjago. You ask him what he's been doing at school, and he says something like they were crawling around on the school roof shooting zombies. He answers almost every question in a crazy/surprising way. He has an extreme ability to empathize and treats his stuffed animals like real animals. He often insists that "events" which obviously did not happen, really did happen. Since he was 10 months old, he has been talking almost constantly, and it often drives us crazy. He is extremely curious and asks questions of everything he meets, and it often drives us crazy cool . He has never needed a TV, computer or tablet to entertain himself - he can get a surprising amount of fun out of a few pine cones and a pile of dead leaves. He is very creative and can spend hours and days building strange Lego creations or making his own board games.

We live in Denmark, where he goes to a special school for gifted children. The school, at least in the small classes, mostly focuses on developing the children's social skills, and the teaching is quite ordinary, although they go through the curriculum a little faster than usual. He has very little interest in classical school subjects such as spelling, reading, mathematics and foreign languages. When you insist that he makes an effort, he is extremely strong in mathematics and he also reads really well. But he could never dream of touching his schoolbooks in his spare time, or asking for more or more difficult homework.

After all, there is a consensus that gifted children must be held to the fire and learn to make an effort and that they benefit from accelerated education. But how do you do that in an appropriate way when the child clearly prefers play, creativity and inventions to classical teaching? How do you teach the child to make an effort without the child losing his creative and imaginative abilities? We have often considered hiring a private tutor who could teach him, for example, mathematics at a higher and far more specialized level than what takes place at school, but this does not immediately feel like the right solution for him - there is a great risk that he will see it as a kind of punishment rather than a "gift". Should we completely forget about the classical education and just let him cultivate his creative abilities?

All experiences with and good advice about such children are very welcome!
    0 15 Read More
    Recommended Resources Jump to new posts
    Re: books for adults polles 07/04/24 06:26 PM
    For adults seeking engaging reads, explore genres like mystery, science fiction, and self-help.
    63 202,552 Read More
    Learning Environments Jump to new posts
    Re: Justice sensitivity in school / DEI millersb02 07/02/24 11:23 AM
    The other posts are very thoughtful and informed.

I can relate… one of my sons has asked me why are there so many books about famous women in an exasperated way.

My boys are also white males… it is an uncomfortable societal situation with a lot of history. My approach so far is to get them informed about differences and history, but knowing that they will continue to be informed about heavier topics as they become adults. Demonstrate to them how to show acceptance and think and behave like an ally.

My sons and I have worked on some homeschool history curriculum (History Quest) together. It gives a foundation of religions around the world and I’ve witnessed how that has informed their thinking about religion in positive and accepting ways.

I have a personal interest in disability rights. I have sought out children’s books about disability that have values I want to instill and discuss. We talk about disability and neurodiversity often. I see this come out in positive interactions with others.

If you have any family members that have first hand experience and can talk to your child that’d be great. For example… my mom was a teen/young adult in the women’s rights era. Her personal experiences make women’s rights feel very real.

Talk, read, discuss with family and friends who know your son and want to help inform his life view in positive ways.
    4 9,800 Read More
    Twice Exceptional Jump to new posts
    Re: psat questions and some griping :) millersb02 06/28/24 11:39 AM
    I’m writing in response to this:

Finally, he scored as expected, 700 in math, 590 verbal, in line with all previous testing. But in school he continues to struggle with any written/verbal responses. He says the words go away or he forgets what he's saying in the middle of the sentence. His working memory is dual 19 level, so I just can't figure out what's going on. The school says he's not trying, he insists he is. He is so stressed about every subject but math because there is so much work to do and he can't even get the first word down in the time it takes other students to complete the assignment. I'm at a loss and at this point I'm usually angry with him because I just don't get it. How can you consistently score 96-98th%ile on verbal measures and be unable to produce written work while being fully able to verbally complain about said written work for hours on end? So frustrating. He's getting poor grades in English, science, and social studies for incomplete assignments. He gets A's, often 100's on tests. Last year he was distinguished honor roll all 3 trimesters, now he says he doesn't care about his grades because the work is too hard and he's given up.

My son is gifted and has a learning disability “written expression disorder” and auditory processing disorder (specifically the kind where it’s hard to process what you hear when there’s a lot of background noise). He also has a deficit in writing fluency. He does have some working memory issues, probably related to APD.

My son is younger, but he had similar issues: often says he doesn’t know what to write, does better in class on math than other subjects, takes tons more time than peers to write. He has gifted level scores on verbal. He reads at a very advanced level, speaks intelligently and articulately, is great at public speaking and presentations. Prior to diagnosis, school would say he’s being stubborn or had executive functioning issues (task initiation). His handwriting was slow to develop and I worked on it with him at home over several years, so the school would say his handwriting is beautiful, but not take into account it needed a lot of time and support to be functional. For him it’s less of a motor strength issue, more of a motor memory issue.

He has a 504 with accommodations now, for writing the biggest difference is graphic organizers. His teacher would make graphic organizers that went along with the curriculum. For example, he needed to do extended responses to each chapter in a book his class was reading. He had a sheet that broke down the extended response in a visual way: line 1 general answer to question, line 2 quote from passage that supports answer, etc. learning models for writing is very helpful he learned the hamburger model for paragraph writing and steps in the writing process. He prefers to use a Google docs for anything longer than a sentence because it allows him to shuffle things around and use spelling/grammar check. It’s all about making writing more visual.

He still says it’s very hard to write with background noise, particularly any voices or music lyrics. As you can imagine this is what school is like everyday. I think that’s related to APD, we’re still figuring it out.

I’m not trying to diagnose your son… but wanted to share that my son had similar feelings about and performance in writing. Grades and testing were always fine. But he was frustrated with writing. I had a strong feeling about that gap between what he was reading and what he was writing was out of the ordinary. I had to do private testing and really push the school to address him.
    3 13,588 Read More
    Identification, Testing & Assessment Jump to new posts
    Re: 2e & long MAP testing millersb02 06/28/24 10:34 AM
    Thank you aeh!
    8 19,927 Read More
    Adult Jump to new posts
    Re: Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years Wren 06/24/24 11:42 PM
    Well interesting thread. I can address one part. Finance. You know that even humans are relying on all those data banks. Not just AI now and future. Bad data has always been an issue. Even organizing the data. And the problem in finance, data can be very complicated and resist against the one size fits all categorization. AI may be able better able to distinquish the odd bits and clean the data and analyze it more effectively.

I think the biggest issue is middle management. That is where most the of the jobs will be lost. And it is interesting, because how do you go from low management to upper management without learning the skills in between? I remember needing knee surgery and my late husband, an anesthesiologist, told me to get someone in their early 40s, someone young enough to know the latest techniques, but old enough to have experience and does dozens per week. Does AI do away with all those middle guys, skills that are in their prime? I think that is the case. Though, most entry level jobs are expected to be lost also. Most top consulting firms rely on new blood to churn out reports that clients pay ridiculous fees for. I imagine that those reports can be churned out by machine far faster and more complete now. The trades are looking better and better as a skill set.
    40 80,715 Read More
    General Discussion Jump to new posts
    Am I, at the very least, mildly gifted? arnav 06/24/24 03:08 PM
    What else could my profile indicate? I've had a myriad of IQ tests throughout my life.

CAS2 Scores:
    Planning: 117
    Simultaneous: 128
    Attention: 98
    Successive: 121
    Full Scale: 121

Stanford Binet 5 scores:
    Full Scale IQ (FSIQ): 125
    Nonverbal IQ (NVIQ): 127
    Verbal IQ (VIQ): 121
    Fluid Reasoning: 129
    Knowledge: 117
    Quantitative Reasoning: 125
    Visual Spatial (VS): 126
    Working Memory: 112

RAIT:
    Crystallized Intelligence Index: 107
    Fluid Intelligence Index: 126
    Total Intelligence Index: 116
    Quantiative Intelligence Index: 137
    Total Battery Intelligence Index: 123

CogAT:
    Verbal: 114
    Quantitative: 136
    Nonverbal: 122
    Composite (VQN): 130

WISC-V
    130 VCI
    128 FRI
    117 VSI
    87 WMI (or so)
    102 PSI (i think)
    122 FSIQ
    130 GAI

Wonderlic: 38 (134 IQ)
    0 3,274 Read More
    Recent Posts
    help understanding wppsi scores
    by lululo4321 - 07/19/24 02:42 PM
    Opinions on School
    by Heidi_Hunter - 07/16/24 10:52 AM
    Adventure Academy
    by Heidi_Hunter - 07/11/24 04:29 AM
    IEP questions
    by Heidi_Hunter - 07/11/24 04:22 AM
    Advice for profoundly gifted and imaginative 7yo?
    by Kim Jensen (DK) - 07/05/24 08:32 AM